Translation of backward in Spanish:
- 1 (before noun)(movement/somersault)without so much as a backward glance
hacia atrássin ni siquiera una mirada atrásthat would be a backward stepeso sería un paso atrásExample sentences
- The real giveaway is the female's hidden pouch, albeit backward opening, for rearing its young.
- Alvin slapped the door shut behind him with a backward scrape of his heel, to muffle the shouting from the neighbors, and sidled along the wall away from her.
- The fur naps to the rear, thus sliding forward and resisting backward movement.
- 2 [dated or offensive](child)
retrasado [anticuado u ofensivo]Example sentences
- The Scandinavian monarchies were transformed from poor and rather backward societies into prosperous agricultural democracies.
- A progressive president and a backward parliament rarely go well together.
- The first one suggests that the backward economies can make rapid progress by imitating the leaders.
- The parents in this film are not the cliche and are not those backward people who scream and say don't go out.
- But the number of these backward people was steadily decreasing.
- But we in the Western society have called them primitive, as backward people, that we need to come and somehow or other educate.
also: (especially British English) backwards adverb
- 1.1 (toward rear)hacia atrásto bend o lean over backwardhacer lo imposibleI've bent over backward to help youhe hecho lo imposible por ayudarte→ know 1 1 1 1.2 (back first)(run/walk)1.3 (back to front, in reverse order) you've done it all backward
hacia atráslo has hecho todo al revésyou've put your sweater on backward (American English)te has puesto el suéter al revés1.4backward(s) and forward(s)he worked the lever backward(s) and forward(s)le dio a la palanca para atrás y para adelantethe door was swinging backward(s) and forward(s) in the windla puerta se mecía con el vientoI've been going backward(s) and forward(s) all day between the house and the hospitalme he pasado el día de acá para allá or para arriba y para abajo entre la casa y el hospital(before noun) backward-and-forward movementmovimiento (masculine) de vaivén
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.