transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [Cookery/Cocina] she bakes her own bread hace el pan en casa bake in a hot oven hornear en horno caliente do you fry it or bake it? ¿lo fríes o lo haces al horno? baked potato papa (feminine) or (Spain/España) patata (feminine) asada or al horno baked custard[ tipo de flan ] baked Alaska Alaska (masculine) al horno ([ postre de helado y merengue ]) 1.2 (in sun) [brick] cocer* al sol the mud has been baked hard by the sun el sol ha endurecido el barro
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [Cookery/Cocina] my mother used to bake on Fridays mi madre hacía pasteles ( or pan etc) los viernes 1.2 (in sun) [brick] cocerse* al sol 1.3 (in the heat) [colloquial/familiar] morirse* de calor [colloquial/familiar], asarse [colloquial/familiar]More example sentences
More example sentences
- And unusual weather takes the fun out of summer, as many people bake in the worst heat wave in years.
- We had been in the Gulf for several months, baking in the summer heat.
- The BSE crisis came on top of a poor crop production year in 2003 as most of western Canada baked under a summer-long heat wave.
More example sentences
- The advantage lies in the fact that microwave oven bakes the moist ingredients about three times faster.
- She entered the kitchen to the enticing smell of beef stew, newly baked bread, and apple pie.
- We cook, bake bread, make cheese, sew, make soap and candles, and milk goats.
- To help keep larger cuts of meat from drying out while broiling, grilling or baking, sear them first.
- While pie is baking, mix the topping ingredients, first the butter and brown sugar until crumbly, then blending in the nuts.
- While the pie was baking, she removed some vegetables and meat from the icebox to prepare for dinner.
- 1.1 (meal) (American English/inglés norteamericano) ; [ reunión donde se consume comida hecha al horno ] 1.2 (dish) (British English/inglés británico) ; [ plato hecho al horno ]More example sentences
- To date they have made paella, pasta bake, and fishcakes.
- Typical products affected by the alert are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.
- This is the second time in a few weeks that a similar scenario has ensued in different circumstances and I am rather tired of eating overpriced pasta bake and being made to feel that being veggie is a nuisance.