- 1 1.1 (edge of river) orilla (feminine), ribera (feminine) the river had burst its banks el río se había desbordado or se había salido de madre 1.2 (slope) terraplén (masculine); [Mech] talud (masculine) 1.3 (graded bend) peralte (masculine)More example sentences
More example sentences
- Sometimes, as we rode the bank of a curve, the wheels became slightly airborne, momentarily escaping the pull of gravity.
- So we need a good baseline setup for a great car for the weekend because it is a pretty flat track, and the bank doesn't help the car turn.
- I learned firsthand how these Olympic competitors use the steep banks to reach top speed.
- These figures for the most part do not include freshwater wetlands along the shores of lakes, banks of rivers, in estuaries and along the marine coasts.
- Lighting effects have been put up in trees and rafts lie alongside the banks of the lake suggesting that fireworks could be launched from the water's surface.
- Ahead of me a row of pollarded willows lines the bank of the stream, beyond which the ground slopes gently upwards towards leafless woodland, appearing sombre grey.
- 2 2.1 (mass) bank of earth/snow montículo (masculine) de tierra/nieve bank of clouds masa (feminine) de nubes 2.2 (on bed of sea, river) banco (masculine), bajío (masculine)More example sentences
- It is a great sight, with ant-like streams pouring across long pontoons over the river's shallow sandy banks to innumerable craft moored midstream.
- This is definitely so for small juvenile fish, but the bigger adults prefer a mix of clean and broken ground, often seeking out gravel banks and sandbanks adjacent to much rougher ground.
- At the mouth the shallow banks of the creek slanted sharply down around a large, flat boulder protruding from the lake, creating a miniature canyon of mud.
- 3 (of typewriter keys) teclado (masculine); (of dials, instruments) tablero (masculine)More example sentences
- Check for sources of electromagnetic interference such as banks of modems on web servers.
- It consisted of a bank of electronic tone generators and an associated array of processing devices that regulated the nature of the sounds.
- In that grey box you see by the railroad crossing lights there is a bank of batteries.
- 4 4.1 (row of oars) hilera (feminine) de remos 4.2 (rower's bench) banco (masculine)More example sentences
- The starboard banks of oars dipped hard into the water, and the trading ship swung abruptly to the left and slowly glided to the dock.
- The standard galley or galere ordinaire, had twenty-six banks of oars per side, with five men at each oar.
- If there were 100 oars per bank, that would have required 15000 oarsmen.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (grade) [bend/racetrack] peraltar
- 2 [fire] bank up 1
bank up verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento [earth/sand] amontonar to bank up the fire agregarle* carbón ( or leña etc) al fuego ([ para que arda lentamente ]) 1.1verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio [sand/snow] amontonarse; [clouds] acumularse
noun/nombreBank of England
- 1 [Finance] banco (masculine) the nationalization of the banks la nacionalización de los bancos or de la banca to laugh o [ironic] cry all the way to the bank morirse* de risa [colloquial/familiar] when they tell me I write trash, I cry all the way to the bank cuando me dicen que escribo basura, me río pensando en mis regalías bank deposits depósitos (masculine plural) bancarios bank raid atraco (masculine) a un banco
- 2 (in gambling) the bank la banca to break the bank hacer* saltar la banca you can eat there without breaking the bank allí se puede comer sin arruinarse or sin gastar un dineral
- 3 (store, supply) banco (masculine) blood/sperm bank banco de sangre/semen
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
bank onverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento [victory/help/support] contar* con the decision may go our way, but I wouldn't bank on it puede que decidan a nuestro favor, pero yo no me confiaría demasiado he was banking on her to get him out of the mess contaba con or confiaba en que ella lo sacaría del apuro we were banking on them accepting our offer contábamos con or confiábamos en que aceptarían nuestra oferta