Translation of basis in Spanish:
noun plural basesPronunciation: /ˈbeɪsiːz/
- 1 countable or uncountable (foundation, grounds) on what basis do you make these assertions?¿en qué se basa usted para afirmar eso?on the basis that …partiendo de la base de que …on the basis of these factssobre la base de estos hechos
en base a estos hechos [criticized usage]Example sentences
- He laid the basis for modern ideas of democracy and the legitimacy of majority rule.
- You will recall that in our alternative arguments we submit two bases for a finding of the true value of the asset purchased.
- They both took issue with the logical basis of the Design argument.
- The second is that programmes can only be justified on the basis of how many people watch them.
- An order will always have to be justified on the basis of the child's welfare.
- We try to figure out what is so, reasoning on the basis of what we already know.
- 2 (system, level) (no plural) we meet on a regular/monthly basisnos reunimos regularmente/mensualmenteon a regional/national basisa nivel regional/nacionalthe work is done on a voluntary basisel trabajo se hace voluntariamenteall clients are treated/charged on an equal basisa todos los clientes se los trata igual/se les cobra lo mismoExample sentences
- They also require evidence that these checks are carried out on a regular basis by staff at the home.
- We intend to carry out similar operations on a regular basis over the coming months.
- Visit your dentist or hygienist to have your teeth scaled and polished on a regular basis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.