Translation of baton in Spanish:
- 1 (conductor's wand) (Music)Example sentences
- He waved a hand in the air like he was holding a baton and conducting an orchestra.
- He leads with an incisive baton and the orchestra and chorus respond with spirit.
- From the day he raised a baton as principal conductor in Birmingham in 1980, Rattle has been the golden boy of classical music.
- 2 (truncheon) (British English)Example sentences
- They were stopped by scores of riot policemen armed with automatic weapons, batons and water cannons.
- Around 250 police armed with tear gas, water cannons, batons, shields and automatic weapons attacked the workers when they refused to disperse.
- Heavily armed riot police used tear gas, water cannon and batons to break up groups of demonstrators and then chased them down side streets.
- 3 (in relay race) (Sport) (before noun) baton changeExample sentences
- Continuing the theme of movement, the third revealed a split screen showing identical images of relay racers passing a baton.
- They were leading when their third runner dropped the baton before passing it to the anchor.
- I've heard her talk about this;the third runner knocked the baton out of her hand, her knee came up.
- 4 (officer's) (British English) (Military)Example sentences
- Victory brought Wellington a field marshal's baton, sensitively designed by the Prince Regent himself.
- Brauchitsch, having been promoted to general in February 1938, was given his field marshal's baton in July 1940.
- It is said every soldier carries a field marshal's baton in his knapsack.
- 5 (drum major's or majorette's)Example sentences
- There might be a Rose Parade all the way to the Hall of Fame with Pete out front twirling the baton if, and when, he becomes eligible.
- He set scoring records at Niagara and twirled the baton at Buffalo Bills games.
- On a sunny July 4 morning in Ripley, West Virginia - a town of 3400 souls - he revelled in the festivities as batons twirled and bands marched.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.