noun/nombrec and u
- 1 [Military/Militar] batalla (feminine) to fight/lose/win a battle librar/perder*/ganar una batalla to go into battle entrar en batalla to do battle luchar let battle commence! ¡que se inicie la contienda! gun battle tiroteo (masculine) (before noun/delante del nombre) [scars/zone] de guerra; [plan] de batalla battle formation formación (feminine) de batalla or de combateMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Hymns and prayers were said in memory of those who died in battle and those who fought and survived.
- He enjoyed wars and was the first prime minister since the duke of Wellington to have fought in battle.
- Sovereignty was a figure for all those brave soldiers who fought and died in battle.
- The pair had been embroiled in lengthy legal battles over Daniel, but had reached a shared custody agreement on his care before Kevin's death.
- One of the most difficult battles waged by these women has been against Public Works Department contractors.
- Allison and Kevin had, following lengthy legal battles, reached a shared custody agreement on Daniel's care.
- 2 (struggle) lucha (feminine) the battle against inflation/cancer la lucha contra la inflación/el cáncer I had a battle with my conscience tuve problemas con mi conciencia the battle for the leadership la lucha or la contienda por el liderazgo a battle of wits una lucha de ingenio that's half the battle (won) eso ya es un gran paso adelante to fight a losing battle luchar por una causa perdida
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [Military/Militar] luchar, pelear to battle
againsto withsb luchar contraor conalgn 1.2 (struggle) to battle againststh/sb luchar contraalgo/algn he battled against alcoholism luchó contra el alcoholismo I was battling with the controls estaba luchando con los controles after months of battling with union leaders tras meses de forcejeo or de enfrentamiento con los líderes sindicales the patient was battling for life el paciente se debatía entre la vida y la muerte they battled over the inheritance se pelearon por la herencia
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1to battle one's way abrirse* paso or camino con gran esfuerzo 1.2 (American English/inglés norteamericano) (oppose) combatir they are battling the new law están combatiendo la nueva ley
battle onverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio seguir* luchando
battle outverb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio to battle it out luchar hasta el final to battle it out for the title disputarse el título
battle throughverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio salir* adelante
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Guernica is a Basque town destroyed by German bombers fighting on the Nationalist side in the Spanish Civil War in April 1937.