Translation of bean in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (fresh, in pod) → green beanExample sentences1.2 (dried)
frijol (masculine)to be full of beans [colloquial]
- We went to Notcutts and bought some compost since my bean seedlings are growing into triffids and need planting out ASAP.
- About half the nation's $629 million dry edible bean crop is grown in those two states and Michigan.
- There are also shell beans (lima, navy, kidney, mung, garbanzo and soya) that you can grow just for the bean seeds inside the pod.
(Spain) alubia (feminine) or judía (feminine)
(Southern Cone) poroto (masculine)
(Venezuela) caraota (feminine)estar lleno de vidato spill the beans
rebosar energíalevantar la liebre or (River Plate area) la perdiz1.3also: coffee bean
- 2 [colloquial] 2.1 (scrap, trace) (esp British English) (with negative) she told us nothing, not a bean!¡no nos dijo ni pío! [colloquial]it isn't worth a beanno vale nadanot to have a bean (British English)estar pelado [colloquial]not to know beans about something (American English)
estar sin blanca (Spain) [colloquial]
andar erizo (Mexico) [colloquial]
andar palmado (Central America) [colloquial]no saber ni papa de algo [colloquial]Example sentences2.2
also: beans plural(money)platita (feminine) (Latin America) [colloquial]cuartos (masculine plural) (Spain) [colloquial]quintos (masculine plural) (Mexico) [colloquial]Example sentences2.3 (head) (American English)
- Having the world's best beans doesn't mean beans unless they are roasted correctly.
- When it comes to small businesses, the net profit doesn't mean beans because the seller is doing everything possible to keep this number low to avoid taxes.
- There really isn't much to recycle in the ordinary light bulb, even the combination of glass and metal doesn't amount to beans.
coco (masculine) [colloquial]mate (masculine) (South America) [colloquial]Example sentences
- I don't think Selina would even bid one bean for me.
- Lio and Tracy have just spent their entire savings buying their first house and don't have a bean to spend on décor.
- I have not one bean to my name after the UK jaunt.
- You gotta use your bean to get this right so, as they say in the military, listen up.
- Every time you make a decision, take any action on your own responsibility, give and order or use your bean, you are preparing yourself for greater opportunities.
- Why doesn't Foley use his bean and draft legislation prohibiting tornadoes from entering or coming near to trailer parks?
- (American English) [colloquial]to bean somebodydarle un porrazo or un mamporro en la cabeza a alguien [colloquial]Example sentences
- That felt better until a bunch of 12-year-olds started beaning me in the head with their tubes.
- During the fifth inning though she was beaned by the ball while the opponent was at bat.
- They're still waiting, in part because his 1998 season was ruined when he was beaned at midseason, and then he struggled with his confidence.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.