- 1 (preceding in time) antes de I won't be back before three/midday no estaré de vuelta antes de las tres/de(l) mediodía before dinner/the game antes de la cena/del partido before long dentro de poco they arrived before us llegaron antes que nosotros excuse me, I was before you lo siento, yo estaba antes (que usted) or delante de usted or [uso criticado/criticized usage] delante suyo before going in antes de entrar ten minutes before the end of the game diez minutos antes de que terminara el partido the day before her departure el día anterior a su partida in the days before electricity cuando no había electricidad turn right just before the bridge tuerce or dobla a la derecha justo antes del puente
- 2 2.1 (in front of) delante de, ante [formal] before the assembled guests delante de los invitados he is due to appear before the court next week debe comparecer ante los tribunales la semana próxima [formal] the matter comes before the committee today el tema va a ser tratado hoy por la comisión I swear before God that … juro ante Dios que … [formal] they swept all before them arrasaron con todo lo que encontraron a su paso the difficulties that still lay before him las dificultades que aún tenía por delante 2.2 (in rank, priority) she puts her work before her family antepone el trabajo a su familia safety comes before anything else la seguridad (está) ante todo
La movida madrileña is an expression referring to the Madrid social and cultural scene of the late 1970s and early 1980s, and the people involved in it. It was a youth phenomenon based around night spots in the city, such as the now defunct club Rock-Ola. One of the leading lights of the movida was the movie director Pedro Almodóvar.
- 1.1 (earlier than) antes de que (+ subj), antes de (+ inf) before it gets dark antes de que anochezca or de que se haga de noche before ironing it antes de plancharlo he died before he was 30 murió antes de cumplir los 30 años 1.2 (rather than) antes que she would die before … prefería morir antes que …More example sentences
- I would die before helping you destroy the human race," he said.
- While Michael was fiercely loyal in his professional and personal relationships, he had a ruthless streak and was prepared to put his career before all else.
- My dream is to be a great chef, and I put that before all things
- 1.1 (preceding) antes long before mucho antes the day/year before el día/año anterior before and after antes y después have you been to Canada before? ¿ya has estado en el Canadá? this has never happened before esto no había sucedido nunca antes, es la primera vez que sucede esto not that page, the one before esa página no, la anteriorMore example sentences1.2 (ahead, in front) [archaic/arcaico] adelante
More example sentences
- We recently talked about what was going to happen in the period just before my death.
- Again, this was more than three times the figure for the same period the year before.
- It took a minute for him to realize where he was and remember the events of the night before.
More example sentences
- The young man passes through the light, and is in a garden, standing before the gate.
- You should have seen the look on her face when I stood before her door with my luggage in my hand.
- I looked up and turned to the side to see a rather nice looking woman standing before me.
- Eight days later she was up before the same court to admit committing two further thefts.
- Sarah has a solicitor in Israel and plans to put the case before the court as soon as possible.
- In it he seeks an order that his clients' appeal be heard afresh before a new court.