Translation of before in Spanish:
- 1 (preceding in time) I won't be back before three/middaybefore dinner/the gameno estaré de vuelta antes de las tres/de(l) mediodíabefore longantes de la cena/del partidothey arrived before usdentro de pocoexcuse me, I was before youllegaron antes que nosotrosbefore going inlo siento, yo estaba antes (que usted) or delante de usted or [criticized usage] delante suyoten minutes before the end of the gameantes de entrarthe day before her departurediez minutos antes de que terminara el partidoin the days before electricityel día anterior a su partidaturn right just before the bridgecuando no había electricidadtuerce or dobla a la derecha justo antes del puente
- 2 2.1 (in front of) before the assembled guestshe is due to appear before the court next weekdelante de los invitadosthe matter comes before the committee todaydebe comparecer ante los tribunales la semana próxima [formal]I swear before God that …el tema va a ser tratado hoy por la comisiónthey swept all before themjuro ante Dios que … [formal]the difficulties that still lay before himarrasaron con todo lo que encontraron a su paso2.2 (in rank, priority) See examples: she puts her work before her familylas dificultades que aún tenía por delantesafety comes before anything elseantepone el trabajo a su familia
- 1.1 (earlier than)before it gets darkantes de que followed by subjunctivebefore ironing itantes de que anochezca or de que se haga de nochehe died before he was 30antes de plancharlo1.2 (rather than) she would die before …murió antes de cumplir los 30 añosprefería morir antes que …Example sentences
- I would die before helping you destroy the human race," he said.
- While Michael was fiercely loyal in his professional and personal relationships, he had a ruthless streak and was prepared to put his career before all else.
- My dream is to be a great chef, and I put that before all things
- 1.1 (preceding) long beforethe day/year beforemucho antesbefore and afterel día/año anteriorhave you been to Canada before?antes y despuésthis has never happened before¿ya has estado en el Canadá?not that page, the one beforeesto no había sucedido nunca anteses la primera vez que sucede esto1.2 (ahead, in front) [archaic]esa página no, la anteriorExample sentences
- The young man passes through the light, and is in a garden, standing before the gate.
- You should have seen the look on her face when I stood before her door with my luggage in my hand.
- I looked up and turned to the side to see a rather nice looking woman standing before me.
- Eight days later she was up before the same court to admit committing two further thefts.
- Sarah has a solicitor in Israel and plans to put the case before the court as soon as possible.
- In it he seeks an order that his clients' appeal be heard afresh before a new court.
- We recently talked about what was going to happen in the period just before my death.
- Again, this was more than three times the figure for the same period the year before.
- It took a minute for him to realize where he was and remember the events of the night before.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.