Translation of before in Spanish:
- 1 (preceding in time) I won't be back before three/middayno estaré de vuelta antes de las tres/de(l) mediodíabefore dinner/the gameantes de la cena/del partidobefore longdentro de pocothey arrived before usllegaron antes que nosotrosexcuse me, I was before youlo siento, yo estaba antes (que usted)lo siento, yo estaba delante de ustedlo siento, yo estaba delante suyo [criticized usage]before going inantes de entrarten minutes before the end of the gamediez minutos antes de que terminara el partidothe day before her departureel día anterior a su partidain the days before electricitycuando no había electricidadturn right just before the bridgetuerce or dobla a la derecha justo antes del puente
- 2 2.1 (in front of)ante [formal]before the assembled guestsdelante de los invitadoshe is due to appear before the court next weekdebe comparecer ante los tribunales la semana próxima [formal]the matter comes before the committee todayel tema va a ser tratado hoy por la comisiónI swear before God that …juro ante Dios que … [formal]they swept all before themarrasaron con todo lo que encontraron a su pasothe difficulties that still lay before himlas dificultades que aún tenía por delante2.2 (in rank, priority) she puts her work before her familyantepone el trabajo a su familiasafety comes before anything else
- 1 (earlier than)antes de que followed by subjunctivebefore it gets dark
antes de followed by infinitiveantes de que anochezca or de que se haga de nochebefore ironing itantes de plancharlohe died before he was 30murió antes de cumplir los 30 años
- 2 (rather than) she would die before …prefería morir antes que …Example sentences
- I would die before helping you destroy the human race," he said.
- While Michael was fiercely loyal in his professional and personal relationships, he had a ruthless streak and was prepared to put his career before all else.
- My dream is to be a great chef, and I put that before all things
- 1 (preceding) long beforemucho antesthe day/year beforeel día/año anteriorbefore and afterantes y despuéshave you been to Canada before?¿ya has estado en el Canadá?this has never happened beforeesto no había sucedido nunca antesnot that page, the one before
es la primera vez que sucede estoesa página no, la anteriorExample sentences
- We recently talked about what was going to happen in the period just before my death.
- Again, this was more than three times the figure for the same period the year before.
- It took a minute for him to realize where he was and remember the events of the night before.
- 2 (ahead, in front) [archaic]Example sentences
- The young man passes through the light, and is in a garden, standing before the gate.
- You should have seen the look on her face when I stood before her door with my luggage in my hand.
- I looked up and turned to the side to see a rather nice looking woman standing before me.
- Eight days later she was up before the same court to admit committing two further thefts.
- Sarah has a solicitor in Israel and plans to put the case before the court as soon as possible.
- In it he seeks an order that his clients' appeal be heard afresh before a new court.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.