- 1 1.1 (to the rear of) detrás de, atrás de (AmL) behind Peter detrás de Peter, atrás de Peter (AmL) behind me detrás de mí, detrás mío [uso criticado/criticized usage] the other car followed close behind us el otro coche nos seguía muy de cerca he crossed the line ten seconds behind the winner cruzó la meta diez segundos después del ganador we're ten years behind the Japanese in microelectronics en microelectrónica llevamos un retraso de diez años respecto a los japoneses she's well behind the rest of the class está muy atrasada con respecto al resto de la clase 1.2 (on the other side of) detrás de, atrás de (AmL)
- 2 2.1 (responsible for) detrás de I know who's behind all this yo sé quién está detrás de todo esto 2.2 (underlying) the theory behind it is that … la teoría sobre la que se basa es que … the idea behind it is to … de lo que se trata es de … we want to know the motives behind your decision queremos saber los motivos que te llevaron a esa decisión
- 3 (in support of) we're all behind the police todos respaldamos a la policía I'm behind you all the way tienes todo mi apoyo we put all our energies behind the campaign volcamos toda nuestra energía en apoyar la campaña
- 4 4.1 (to one's name) a sus ( or mis etc) espaldas, en su ( or mi etc) haber she has four years' experience behind her tiene cuatro años de experiencia a sus espaldas or en su haber 4.2 (in time) all that is behind us now todo eso ha quedado atrás I'm behind schedule voy retrasado or atrasado (con el trabajo or los preparativos etc) the train is behind time el tren va a llegar con retraso
- 1.1 (to the rear, following) I want the small children here and the taller ones behind que los niños pequeños se pongan aquí y los más altos detrás or (AmL tb) atrás she glanced behind miró hacia atrás I was attacked from behind me atacaron por la espalda keep an eye on the car behind no pierdas de vista al coche de atrás see also stay behind wait behind etcMore example sentences1.2 (in race, competition) England were two goals behind Inglaterra iba perdiendo por dos goles they came from behind to win 3-2 se recuperaron y finalmente ganaron 3 a 2 the Republicans are behind in the polls los republicanos van a la zaga según las encuestas
More example sentences1.3 (in arrears) I'm behind with my work/payments estoy atrasada con el trabajo/en los pagos we're six months behind with the rent debemos seis meses de alquiler see also fall behind get behind etc
- The unknown attacker grabbed her from behind.
- She had gone ten or 20 yards past him when he ran up, grabbed her throat from behind and assaulted her.
- He grabbed her from behind and indecently assaulted her but she managed to fight him off and ran to a nearby house.
More example sentences1.4 (in time) Buenos Aires is five hours behind Buenos Aires va cinco horas más atrás, en Buenos Aires es cinco horas más temprano
- In truth, Wales should have been 20 points behind and out of the match by half time.
- He admitted he was not a happy man after seeing his side go behind for the fifth time in the last six games.
- But he sends his kick just wide of the posts to leave the home side eight points behind.
- So it comes as no surprise that they should have fallen behind in developing a system intended to do the impossible.
- I'm behind in my classes and buried under papers I haven't started.
- I feel like Im behind with everything at the moment.
- [colloq & euph] trasero (m) [familiar/colloquial]More example sentences
- Administrative professionals, if they're any good, save their bosses' behinds every day.
- On a Web site I won't name, people post images they've taken - in public places - of other people's behinds.
- He explains how much beef today comes not from beef cattle bred to fatten beautifully but from dairy-cross cows, which have distinctly bony behinds and are the byproduct of the calving needed to keep dairy cows in milk year on year.