- 1 1.1(of church, school, clock)(on cow, goat)(on cat, toy)(on door, bicycle)(of telephone, timer)also: handbellto ring the bellas clear as a bellhis voice was as clear as a belltocar el timbre/la campanabells and whistles [colloquial]it comes with all the bells and whistleslo oía como si estuviera a mi ladoas sound as a bellviene con toda la parafernalia de accesorios [humorous]to give somebody a bell (British English) [colloquial]en perfectas condicionesto ring a bellit rings a belldarle un telefonazo a alguien [colloquial]darle un toque a alguien (Spain) [colloquial]the name rings a bellme suenadoes that ring any bells with you?me suena el nombre1.2¿te suena (de algo)?also: bells plural(Music)campanas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- He made me an unbelievable trumpet with carvings and designs and a big double bell, like a space-age trumpet.
- The bell of the trumpet is decorated with a garland bearing the maker's name and the place where the instrument was made.
- Researchers in Germany have been looking carefully at the after glow of the big bang and have decided that the universe is shaped like a trumpet bell.
- 2 2.1 (Sport)the bellshe was in third place at the bellla campanato be saved by the bellhe was saved by the bellal sonar la campana iba en tercera posiciónse salvó de milagrolo salvó la campana(in boxing)2.2 (in seafaring) at four bellslo salvó la campanato sound two bellsa las dos horas de empezar el turnodar dos campanadasExample sentences
- Two minutes after the bell for round one, Liston was the new undisputed champ.
- Just as the bell ended the fifteenth round, Frazier put his hands up and yelled something at Ali.
- Right before the bell for the first round the anticipation was high.
- (stag)Example sentences
- The wood in the half-light waking at daybreak to the belling of stags that bursts into barks.
- During the rut in October and November you can hear the stags belling or roaring.
- My very earliest memories are of picnics with my mother beneath the great trees in Richmond Park in London, of red deer stags belling in rut, of lightning and thunder.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.