- 1 1.1 (of church, school, clock) campana (feminine); (on cow, goat) cencerro (masculine); (on cat, toy) cascabel (masculine); (on door, bicycle) timbre (masculine); (of telephone, timer) timbre (masculine)(handbell)campanilla (feminine) to ring the bell tocar* el timbre/la campana as clear as a bell his voice was as clear as a bell lo oía como si estuviera a mi lado bells and whistles [colloquial/familiar] it comes with all the bells and whistles viene con toda la parafernalia de accesorios [humorous/humorístico] as sound as a bell en perfectas condiciones to give sb a bell (British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar] darle* un telefonazo a algn [colloquial/familiar], darle* un toque a algn (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar] to ring a bell it rings a bell me suena the name rings a bell me suena el nombre does that ring any bells with you? ¿te suena (de algo)? 1.2(bells plural)[Music/Música] campanas (feminine plural)More example sentences
- He made me an unbelievable trumpet with carvings and designs and a big double bell, like a space-age trumpet.
- The bell of the trumpet is decorated with a garland bearing the maker's name and the place where the instrument was made.
- Researchers in Germany have been looking carefully at the after glow of the big bang and have decided that the universe is shaped like a trumpet bell.
- 2 2.1 [Sport/Deporte] the bell la campana she was in third place at the bell al sonar la campana iba en tercera posición to be saved by the bell he was saved by the bell se salvó de milagro, lo salvó la campana (in boxing) lo salvó la campana 2.2 (in seafaring) campana (feminine) at four bells a las dos horas de empezar el turno to sound two bells dar* dos campanadasMore example sentences
- Two minutes after the bell for round one, Liston was the new undisputed champ.
- Just as the bell ended the fifteenth round, Frazier put his hands up and yelled something at Ali.
- Right before the bell for the first round the anticipation was high.