Translation of belt in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 [Clothing/Indumentaria] cinturón (masculine) green/brown belt (in judo, karate) cinturón (masculine) or cinto (masculine) or (Mexico/México) cinta (feminine) verde/marrón (person) cinturón (masculine and feminine) or (Mexico/México) cinta (masculine and feminine) verde/marrón belt and braces (British English/inglés británico) he has a belt-and-braces approach le gusta tomar todas las precauciones (del caso) to have sth under one's belt tener* algo a sus ( or mis etc) espaldas, tener* algo en su ( or mi etc) haber with a string of hits under his belt con una serie de hits a sus espaldas or en su haber to hit below the belt dar* un golpe bajo that was a bit below the belt ¡ése fue un golpe bajo! to tighten one's belt apretarse* el cinturónExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (for holding tools) cinturón (masculine) para herramientas
- His jerkin was decorated by a flamboyant lace frill around the neck, and like Tudor he carried a sword attached to a belt round his waist.
- He wore long black pants and a dark green shirt with a leather belt around his waist.
- He buckled his sword belt around his waist, and then he picked her up.
(cartridge belt)cartuchera (feminine), canana (feminine)(gun belt)cinturón (masculine) ([ con pistolera ])
- They often wear colourful clothing and belts to distinguish which rank they are in the Chiui hierarchy.
- Around 1930 Jigoro Kano created a new belt to recognize the special achievements of high ranking black belts.
- In the Junior Taekwondo, Matthew Archer achieved his blue belt with a fantastic score of 94 per cent.
- 2 2.1 [Mech] correa (feminine)(conveyor belt)cinta (feminine) or (Mexico/México) banda (feminine) transportadora(fan belt)correa (feminine) or (Mexico/México) banda (feminine) del ventilador 2.2(seat belt)cinturón (masculine) (de seguridad)(safety belt)cinturón (masculine) de seguridad to fasten one's belt abrocharse el cinturónExample sentences
- Unlike machinery used in textile mills, steelmaking machinery had few spinning belts that could pull workers into drive shafts.
- Traditionally these machines have belts and pulleys to change increment speeds, which wouldn't change so often.
- Most of the belts are off the machines, or on idler wheels, so that when the mill is running only the machine being used is operating.
- 4 [colloquial/familiar] 4.1 (blow) tortazo (masculine) [colloquial/familiar], trancazo (masculine) (Mexico/México) [colloquial/familiar] 4.2 (drink) (American English/inglés norteamericano) trago (masculine)Example sentences
- I agree, back then, even when I was a kid, it was seen as the norm to discipline children with a smack or a belt with a stick, but yet they didn't grow up to be muggers or binge drinking fighters.
- Out of the clear blue he landed a belt on them and I never felt such pain.
- I quickly put a smile on my face before he gave me a belt.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
belt downverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento (American English/inglés norteamericano) [colloquial/familiar] to belt one down tomarse una he's over there belting them down ahí está, tomándose una tras otra or [colloquial/familiar] empinando el codo
belt outverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento [colloquial/familiar] (sing) cantar a grito pelado [colloquial/familiar]; (play) tocar* muy fuerte
belt upverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar] 1.1 (be quiet) callarse la boca, cerrar* el pico [colloquial/familiar] 1.2 [Cars/Automovilismo] ponerse* el cinturón
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Bonoloto is a Spanish state lottery established in 1988. The others are the Lotería Nacional and the Lotería Primitiva. As with the Lotería Primitiva six numbers are marked on a ticket showing forty-nine numbers and win the main prize if all the numbers come up in the draw.