Translation of bench in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (seat)Example sentences1.2
also: workbench(for carpentry) banco (masculine) (de carpintero)Example sentences
- Mr Buttery wants to make more of the site, now barely more than a couple of park benches and an engraved stone.
- Looms, beds, tables, chairs, stools and benches were made of wood as well.
- Once outside, I took a seat on a stone bench near the door.
- This street-roof is studded with glass lenses that shine daylight down to laboratory benches below.
- I can envisage these pages being photocopied and pinned above laboratory benches around the world.
- In Downie's day, smallpox work was done on wooden benches in the open laboratory.
- 2 2.1 (Law)the bench o the Bench(judges collectively) la judicatura(tribunal) el tribunalto be raised to the bench (British English)ser nombrado juez or magistradoto speak from the benchhablar desde el estradoto appear before the benchcomparecer ante el tribunalExample sentences
- You know I always wonder about the kind of people who sit on these judges benches and pass judgment over people.
- The mock-up design featured access by ramps to all raised spaces, including the judge's bench, witness stand, jury box, and clerk stations.
- In an unprecedented move Magistrate Nicholas got up from the bench and sat at the bar table with the witness and the accused.
also: benches plural(British English) (seat in Parliament)the government/opposition bencheslos escaños or (River Plate area) la bancada or (Chile) la banca del gobierno/de la oposiciónsee also→ back benches, → front bench
- Scotland's Lord Justice General recently presided over the bench of five senior judges who heard and ruled on the Lockerbie appeal.
- Another bench of Magistrates may, reasonable and rationally, have reached the decision that the appeal should have been dismissed.
- The sessions will take place at Bradford Magistrates Court in front of a specialised bench of magistrates and a prosecutor, who will be experts in ASBOs.
- 3 (Sport)the benchel banquillo or (Latin America tb) la bancaExample sentences
- When a timeout is called, players stroll to the bench and coaches hustle to huddle.
- The next season, he was back on the field as the bench coach for new Cleveland manager.
- First-choice half back Sean Long endured a nightmare first half at the JJB and should be relegated to the bench when coach David Waite names his side today.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.