Translation of bench in Spanish:
- 1 countable/numerable 1.1 (seat) banco (masculine)Example sentences1.2
(workbench)mesa (feminine) de trabajo; (for carpentry) banco (masculine) (de carpintero)Example sentences
- Mr Buttery wants to make more of the site, now barely more than a couple of park benches and an engraved stone.
- Looms, beds, tables, chairs, stools and benches were made of wood as well.
- Once outside, I took a seat on a stone bench near the door.
- This street-roof is studded with glass lenses that shine daylight down to laboratory benches below.
- I can envisage these pages being photocopied and pinned above laboratory benches around the world.
- In Downie's day, smallpox work was done on wooden benches in the open laboratory.
- 2 2.1 [Law/Derecho] the bench o the Bench (judges collectively) la judicatura (tribunal) el tribunal to be raised to the bench (British English/inglés británico) ser* nombrado juez or magistrado to speak from the bench hablar desde el estrado to appear before the bench comparecer* ante el tribunal 2.2(benches plural)(British English/inglés británico) (seat in Parliament) the government/opposition benches los escaños or (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) la bancada or (Chile) la banca del gobierno/de la oposición see alsoback benches, front benchExample sentences
- You know I always wonder about the kind of people who sit on these judges benches and pass judgment over people.
- The mock-up design featured access by ramps to all raised spaces, including the judge's bench, witness stand, jury box, and clerk stations.
- In an unprecedented move Magistrate Nicholas got up from the bench and sat at the bar table with the witness and the accused.
- Before joining the bench, the Judge was a law professor who was well known for his erudite criticism of legalized abortion.
- A Leyland magistrate is being forced to retire from the bench against his will because he is too old!
- However, there are some people who move from the academic field to practice or the bench.
- Scotland's Lord Justice General recently presided over the bench of five senior judges who heard and ruled on the Lockerbie appeal.
- Another bench of Magistrates may, reasonable and rationally, have reached the decision that the appeal should have been dismissed.
- The sessions will take place at Bradford Magistrates Court in front of a specialised bench of magistrates and a prosecutor, who will be experts in ASBOs.
- 3 [Sport/Deporte] the bench el banquillo or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) la bancaExample sentences
- When a timeout is called, players stroll to the bench and coaches hustle to huddle.
- The next season, he was back on the field as the bench coach for new Cleveland manager.
- First-choice half back Sean Long endured a nightmare first half at the JJB and should be relegated to the bench when coach David Waite names his side today.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas