Translation of bench in Spanish:
- 1 countable/numerable 1.1 (seat) banco (masculine)Example sentences1.2
(workbench)mesa (feminine) de trabajo; (for carpentry) banco (masculine) (de carpintero)Example sentences
- Mr Buttery wants to make more of the site, now barely more than a couple of park benches and an engraved stone.
- Looms, beds, tables, chairs, stools and benches were made of wood as well.
- Once outside, I took a seat on a stone bench near the door.
- This street-roof is studded with glass lenses that shine daylight down to laboratory benches below.
- I can envisage these pages being photocopied and pinned above laboratory benches around the world.
- In Downie's day, smallpox work was done on wooden benches in the open laboratory.
- 2 2.1 [Law/Derecho] the bench o the Bench (judges collectively) la judicatura (tribunal) el tribunal to be raised to the bench (British English/inglés británico) ser* nombrado juez or magistrado to speak from the bench hablar desde el estrado to appear before the bench comparecer* ante el tribunal 2.2(benches plural)(British English/inglés británico) (seat in Parliament) the government/opposition benches los escaños or (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) la bancada or (Chile) la banca del gobierno/de la oposición see alsoback benches, front benchExample sentences
- You know I always wonder about the kind of people who sit on these judges benches and pass judgment over people.
- The mock-up design featured access by ramps to all raised spaces, including the judge's bench, witness stand, jury box, and clerk stations.
- In an unprecedented move Magistrate Nicholas got up from the bench and sat at the bar table with the witness and the accused.
- Before joining the bench, the Judge was a law professor who was well known for his erudite criticism of legalized abortion.
- A Leyland magistrate is being forced to retire from the bench against his will because he is too old!
- However, there are some people who move from the academic field to practice or the bench.
- Scotland's Lord Justice General recently presided over the bench of five senior judges who heard and ruled on the Lockerbie appeal.
- Another bench of Magistrates may, reasonable and rationally, have reached the decision that the appeal should have been dismissed.
- The sessions will take place at Bradford Magistrates Court in front of a specialised bench of magistrates and a prosecutor, who will be experts in ASBOs.
- 3 [Sport/Deporte] the bench el banquillo or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) la bancaExample sentences
- When a timeout is called, players stroll to the bench and coaches hustle to huddle.
- The next season, he was back on the field as the bench coach for new Cleveland manager.
- First-choice half back Sean Long endured a nightmare first half at the JJB and should be relegated to the bench when coach David Waite names his side today.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Venezuela, pasapalo is small portions of food that are usually served with drinks at parties, bars, and social get-togethers.