- 1 (comp ofgood1) 1.1 [quality/doctor/method/price] mejor his tennis is better now ahora juega mejor al tenis he's better at playing the guitar than at singing toca la guitarra mejor de lo que canta fruit's much better for you than candy la fruta es mucho más sana que los caramelos I've got an even better idea tengo una idea aún mejor things couldn't be better todo va de maravilla I'll just take these shoes off … ah, that's better me voy a quitar los zapatos … ¡uf … qué alivio! what do you think of the wine? — I've tasted better ¿qué te parece el vino? — los he probado mejores to get better mejorar her playing gets better and better cada vez toca mejor the bigger/quicker the better cuanto más grande/rápido mejor the less said about it the better cuanto menos se hable del tema mejor the garden looks all the better for the rain la lluvia le ha venido bien al jardín if they can both come, so much the better si pueden venir los dos, mucho or tanto mejor I feel none the better for knowing that she has failed as well no es ningún consuelo saber que ella tampoco lo ha logrado she's little better than a thief es poco menos que una ladrona she's no better than a thief es una ladrona, ni más ni menos have you got nothing better to do than … ? ¿no tienes nada mejor que hacer que … ? he's moved on to better things since then desde entonces se ha superado mucho to be better than one's word cumplir con creces lo prometido to go one better I can go one better: I'll give you interest-free credit yo puedo hacerle una oferta aún mejor: le doy crédito sin interés not content with that, she decided to go one better no satisfecha con eso, decidió ir aún más lejos he always has to go one better than everyone else siempre tiene que ser más que nadie 1.2 (more suitable, desirable) [suggestion/plan/date] mejor it would be better to go by plane sería mucho mejor ir en avión the matter is better forgotten lo mejor será olvidar el asunto
The Basque autonomous police force is called Ertzaintza. Its members, called ertzainas, wear a uniform of red sweaters and berets, and white jackets. Despite the Ertzaintza's wide range of responsibilities, the Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional still operate in the Basque Country.
- 1 (comp ofwell1, well2) mejor she swims better than I do o than me nada mejor que yo we get on better than we used to nos llevamos mejor que antes you can have it for five dollars: I can't do better than that, can I? te lo dejo en cinco libras; más no me puedes pedir ¿no? I can see better from here desde aquí veo mejor we'd've done better to wait hubiera sido mejor esperar they did better out of the deal than they admit salieron mejor parados con el acuerdo de lo que pretenden no one was better liked than he was nadie era tan querido como él he thinks he knows better (se) cree que sabe más at the last moment he thought better of it and … a último momento cambió de idea or lo pensó mejor y …More example sentences
- Won't all of it be money that could be better spent fixing schools and hospitals instead?
- They say the money and time would be better spent trying to change sexual behaviour.
- Young believes profits are better spent finding and targeting new niches.
- 2had better (ought) hadn't you better phone them? ¿no deberías llamarlos? I'd better leave before it gets dark va a ser mejor que me vaya antes de que oscurezca well, I'd better be off bueno, me tengo que ir you'd better do exactly as I say más te vale hacer exactamente lo que yo te diga you'd better not complain! ¡más te vale no quejarte! you'd better believe it! [colloquial/familiar] sí señor
- 3 (more) (American English/inglés norteamericano) más it cost me better than $100 to repair me costó más de 100 dólares arreglarloMore example sentences
- Cue Andrew, whose style of bowling suited the conditions far better.
- As the rain fell Carrickmore seemingly were able to cope with the adverse conditions better.
- Hopefully, the world will be better able to live with itself in peace.
- 1 1.1 (superior of two) the better el mejor he is the better of the two brothers at swimming de los dos hermanos es el que mejor nada for the better para bien, para mejor he's changed — and for the better! ha cambiado — ¡y para bien! things took a turn for the better las cosas dieron un giro positivo to get the better of sb/sth ganarle la batalla a algn/algo my curiosity got the better of me la curiosidad fue más fuerte que yo or pudo más que yoMore example sentences1.2
(betters plural)(superiors) superiores (masculine plural) his elders and betters sus mayoresMore example sentences
- The world has been actively and consciously changed for the better in the past.
- Education brings about dialogue and hence the society could be changed for the better.
- I have high hopes that he will be able to change the way we look at sports, for the better.
- They are respected members of the community and for his family to see him ignoring and jeering his elders and betters is very disappointing.
- It is important to keep a sense of proportion about these things and, it seems to me, there are times when our elders and betters lose the run of themselves.
- Even the Parrot aimed to inculcate the habits of godliness and good behaviour, consideration for others, respect for ones elders and betters.
- 1.1 (improve) [conditions/lot] mejorar; [chances] aumentar to better oneself (financially) prosperar (culturally, educationally) superarseMore example sentences1.2 (surpass) [score/record] mejorar, superar
More example sentences
- When workers do make meaningful advances against their local employers by modestly improving their wages or bettering their working conditions, the subcontracts are not as lucrative for the local elites.
- Exploiting the public is not leading it; satisfying its passions or sanctioning its ideas is not bettering them; and we understand… the heart of the people and their ideas.
- Eckstein worked all offseason to improve his range by bettering his footwork and getting good jumps on the ball.
- The 22-year-old then bettered her three previous performances at the French Open by beating the 10th seed en-route to the third round.
- The apparent ease at which he was scoring suggested he would have gone beyond the 300 barrier, but he was content with bettering his previous test-best score by exactly 100.
- He was unlucky not to receive an Oscar nomination for his touching and subtle performance, which betters any of his previous work.