Translation of blackleg in Spanish:
- (British English) [pejorative] (breaker of strike)carnero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine) (River Plate area) [colloquial] [pejorative]Example sentences
- In response to his letter, I wholeheartedly disagree with his comments about ‘scabs’, ‘non-strikers’ and ‘blacklegs’.
- There was no violence directed against the many blacklegs who drove buses and engaged in other strike-breaking activities.
- The marital crisis coincides with a miners' strike in which the men are forced to live off a pittance while blacklegs take over their jobs.
intransitive verb -gg-
- (British English) [pejorative] (break a strike)Example sentences
- The party's organic hostility to the working class soon proved of value to the bourgeoisie when it blacklegged on the 1980 general strike, which was broken by the government.
- Second, the left decided to scab and blackleg on the ethnic group, whose struggle is the oldest cause of the left in the region.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to