Translation of bless in Spanish:
transitive verb past tense blessed past participle blessed blest)or [archaic]
- 1.1 (give benediction) may the Lord bless you1.2 (favor) (usually passive) to be blessedque el Señor te bendiga
withsomethingwe have been blessed with good healththey were blessed with a sontenemos la suerte de gozar de buena salud1.3 (in interjectional phrases) bless you! (to somebody who sneezes)Dios los bendijo con un hijo¡salud! or (Spain) ¡Jesús!(expressing gratitude) [colloquial]muchísimas gracias(as benediction)he's done all the ironing, bless him! [colloquial](que) Dios te ( or los etc) bendigabless her heart, she's fallen asleepha planchado toda la ropa ¡qué tierno! [colloquial]Jane, bless her heart, has offered to put us upla pobrecita se ha quedado dormidabless me/my soul! [colloquial]la buena de Jane nos ha ofrecido alojamientoI'll be blessed if I can remember his name [colloquial]¡válgame Dios!por nada del mundo me puedo acordar de cómo se llamaExample sentences
Example sentences1.4 (consecrate)
- The Lord blessed Tommy with many special attributes, among them a unique stubbornness, a special form of loving, confident arrogance, a quaint sense of humor and an unconditional love for all.
- The Screening God is one of the most important Gods as he is blessed with the power to see who is worthy of becoming a god, an angel, or thrown back down to earth.
- I didn't know then that you were blessed with such power.
(wine/bread/marriage)Example sentences1.5 (adore) bless the Lord!
- Of course, there are always a few kids who have never heard of Crossfire, bless their innocent little souls.
- After the customer paid, Zak said to him, ‘Thanks, and God bless you!’
- ‘God bless you!’ she said, and she waved her flag as they pulled forward through the intersection.
¡bendito or alabado sea el Señor!Example sentences
- Against this barren background, James blesses those who endure temptation with the following famous words.
- She led them into battle where they achieved martyrdom and were blessed by Guru Gobind Singh.
- He touched lepers, forgave sinners, blessed the poor and consorted with tax collectors.
- My boyfriend totally accepts God's importance to me and would never prevent me from praying or going to church or doing anything else which blesses God.
- Even they can bless God for the natural delights of this life.
- With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude likeness of God.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.