intransitive verb -bb-
- (move abruptly)the cork bobbed up and down on the waterel corcho cabeceaba en el aguahe bobbed under the tablese metió rápidamente debajo de la mesaa head bobbed out from behind the dooruna cabeza asomó por detrás de la puertato bob for apples(jugar al juego consistente en tratar de atrapar con los dientes unas manzanas que flotan en agua)
transitive verb -bb-
- 1 (move abruptly)(tail)
- As we approached the jetty a speedboat whisked past sending our boat bobbing violently in its wake.
- Your hired motor boat is bobbing up and down at anchor, occasionally nudging the pebbles on the beach as a bigger wave breaks.
- She shook her head, her short blond locks bobbing around her head.
- You can't help but bob your shoulders and sway your hips to the raunchy jazz in this number!
- He keeps filming the milky-eyed and toothless bluehair as she bobs her head around, struggling to focus on who she's talking to.
- The bird bobs its head, showing more interest in its surroundings than the man who sustains an unaffected stare.
- 1 (movement)(— of tail)
meneo (masculine)(— of head)
inclinación (feminine)Example sentences
- With a quick bob of her tongue she span back around and marched down the corridor, opening the classroom door by magic without even realising she had done it.
- Unlike Garrett's bewildered reaction, Clara only gave a slight bob of her head to acknowledge him.
- Her mistress gave a slight bob of her head, and she began bustling about, stirring up the fire.
- 1 1.1 (haircut) to wear one's hair in a bobllevar melenaExample sentences1.2 (docked tail)
cola (feminine) atusada
- She had auburn hair styled in a bob cut, gentle, hazel eyes, and the greatest smile that had ever graced any thin, yet soft face.
- Linda Evangelista had the shortest hair with a bob to the bottom of her neck.
- I've had my hair cut from just above my waist to a short bob and it looks really thick and bushy.
- 2 2.1 (on pendulum)(on plumb line)2.2 (bait)
plomada (feminine)Example sentences
- The functioning of a key depends on its rigidity whilst that of clocks and watches depend crucially on the weight of pendulum bobs or the elasticity of springs.
- Newton showed that after appropriate corrections are made for air resistance, action and reaction are equal regardless of whether the pendulum bobs are composed of steel, glass, cork, or wool.
- The relationship between the masses of the replica pendulum bobs and the mass of the overall platform was roughly the same, and the clocks' periods were also comparable.
- 3 (sled)trineo (masculine) de bobsleighExample sentences
- A sport that seems certain to capture the public imagination over the next Winter Olympic fortnight is the bob skeleton.
- In the bob skeleton event, competitors travel on a sled on their stomach, head first down a track.
- (cut)(tail)to bob one's hair
atusarcortarse el pelo a lo pajeExample sentences
- Emily, when I last saw her, was very short and had brown hair that was bobbed at her chin.
- She pulled the straw out and twisted her helmet off, revealing a teenage girl with round glasses, bobbed brown hair and bright smiling eyes.
- Marya shook her head, her neatly bobbed dark hair brushing against high cheekbones.
noun plural bob
- (British English) [colloquial] I bet that cost a few bob!¡eso ha tenido que costar un platal or (Spain) un pastón or (Mexico) un lanón! [colloquial]she's not short of a few bob o of a bob or twoestá forrada [colloquial]Example sentences
- To build a block of flats, you simply slot the modules together in whatever arrangement you or your architect like, slap some cladding on the outside (red cedar, please, not concrete, this is the 21st century) - and Bob's your uncle.
- You take any random word, preferably BAYBEE, chant it a few hundred times whilst repeatedly thumping any handy hard surface, record it with some techno tweaking, and Bob's your uncle.
- It should not come as a surprise - after all, it's a simple case of keying in a few addresses, pressing the ‘forward’ button, and Bob's your uncle.
- It may be worth a few bob in years to come, but that was not the reason I bought it.
- After this season, they might be worth a bob or two as a memorial souvenir.
- You'll find a lot of beer cans, unless you can tune out aluminium, but you'll pick up an interesting selection of lost property and a few bob in coins.