noun plural bogeys
- (golf)Example sentences
- He got back into contention with a level par 71 containing six birdies, four bogeys and one double bogey.
- DiMarco, tied for the lead after the first round, had an inconsistent round that included an eagle, four birdies, three bogeys and a double bogey.
- He was six over after the first seven holes after a run of four bogeys compounded by a double bogey on the sixth.
noun plural bogeys
- 1 (evil spirit) → bogeymanExample sentences
- Surely there can be no better way to interest young children in science than talking bogeys.
- There were Ghosts, plain and simple: mere bogies, fully conscious of their own decay, who had accepted the traditional role of the spectre, and seemed to hope they could frighten someone.
- But at the Reformation, this interpretation was forbidden, and a bogey henceforth could only be a bogey, never a ghost.
- 2 (feared thing)Example sentences
- The bogey of community in peril was falsely raised to keep the constituency within the preserve of male candidates.
- So Ryle's fundamental target is not the Cartesian hypothesis of the ghost in the machine: it is ‘the bogy of mechanism’, mistaken fear of which leads people to embrace the Cartesian hypothesis.
- Of course, any such attempt is constrained by the spectre of a nuclear war, whose bogey is very calculatingly turned off and on by the country's government officials.
- 3 (British English) [slang] (nasal mucus)Example sentences
- Well anyway my dears, that's enough about snot, sneezing, mucus, bogies and phlegm.
- Had Scarlett been an adult satirist, I would have taken the chance to inflict more wounds upon her and maybe said ‘Your house is fashioned from a mixture of sweat and bogeys.’
- 30 minutes of watching a retard pick his nose and eat his own bogies would have been far more entertaining.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to