- 1 (Technology)Example sentences
- Use only non-corrosive nails, bolts and screws to prevent staining.
- Screws, nails and bolts can all be used in the assembly of the components.
- Six million bolts hold the bridge together and not a single one has loosened since the bridge was opened in 1932.
- 2 2.1 (on door, window)Example sentences2.2 (on firearm) (Military)
- He reached through the hole in the door and slid the bolt on the inside.
- To reduce the risk of wandering, put a slide bolt high on every door that leads to the outside or to a stairwell, or use a deadbolt that requires a key.
- We quickly unload cases, leave them with our bags and personal belongings in the store room and lock the door with the sliding bolt and padlock.
- They replaced the missing bolt in the one rifle and supplied new magazines for the two Camp Reed guns.
- He pulled back the bolt of the rifle with a sharp snap to ready it.
- However, with conventional guns, the standing breech acts as a bolt sealing off the rear of the chamber.
- 3 3.1 (arrow) to shoot one's boltExample sentences3.2bolt (of lightning) a bolt from the blue
un acontecimiento inesperadoExample sentences
- Crossbow bolts and arrows passed like clouds across the face of the sun.
- Rich pulled the trigger of his crossbow and the bolt shot out.
- They took five shotguns, a longbow, arrows, a crossbow and bolts.
- A great bolt of white lightning flashed out of thin air.
- A small bolt of lightning flashes, and the thunder follows soon after.
- A bolt of lightning flashed across the horizon and lit the sky.
- 1 (fasten with bolt)atornillarthe tables are bolted to the floor
sujetar con un tornillo or pernolas mesas están sujetas con pernos al suelo or están atornilladas al suelo
- 2(door/window)the doors were locked and bolted
echarle el pestillo or el pasador or el cerrojo alas puertas estaban cerradas con llave y tenían echado el cerrojoExample sentences
- That night, she made sure to double check the locks on all the windows and bolt the door.
- Anybody who reads the newspapers regularly could be forgiven for locking and bolting the front door and resolving never to set foot outside again.
- Kelley slipped off her heels with relief, locking and bolting the apartment door.
desbocarse(person)he bolted for the door
echar a correr
salir corriendo or disparadoechó a correr or salió corriendo hacia la puertaExample sentences
- Wearing traditional garb and astride a horse, her cover was blown when the beast bolted and threw her off, exposing her camera.
- Wild animals shook at the sound of the hounds; deer bolted for the hills.
- Suddenly a huge bang is heard and both horses bolt for it.
- Buddy bolted, bounding down the driveway and across the street, heading right for me.
- The tavern-master yelled at the figure bolting up the stairs.
- He then felt a strong impulse coming from his stomach and he then bolted for the nearest bathroom, however he couldn't remember where one was.
- 2 (produce seeds early)producir flores y semillas antes de tiempoExample sentences
- By now most of your herbs have bolted to seed and should be re-planted.
- The only caveat is they have a tendency to bolt to flower and seed as days become longer in spring.
- Plants bolt quickly, too, so sow seeds in small batches every few weeks.
- If we bolted our food and ran down the street, we might just catch him before he went off duty, and claim a penny on the empty bottle.
- Arun seized the bowl and bolted the cold food himself, spurred both by hope and the fledgling's panting breaths.
- People under stress may also bolt their food, creating extra work for their digestive juices.
- (of cloth)Example sentences
- You can buy it from fabric stores that stock bolts of fabric, or you can order it from fabric books.
- The traveling merchants usually stocked bolts of cloth and sewing notions such as needle and thread and had stands on which to measure the cloth.
- Your closest quilt shop is getting new bolts of fabric in now.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.