Translation of book in Spanish:
- 1 (printed work) it sounds like something out of a bookparece de cuentoa book on the French Revolutionun libro sobre la revolución francesathe good Book [formal]la Bibliathe Book of Danielel Libro de Danielby or according to the bookciñéndose a las reglas or normasto go by the bookceñirse (estrictamente) a las normas or reglasin my booka mi modo de verthat's one for the book [colloquial]
en mi opiniónes un verdadero récordto be a closed book to somebodyser un misterio para alguiento be an open bookser (como) un libro abiertoto be in somebody's good/bad books [colloquial]I'm in her bad books nowen este momento no soy santo de su devocióntry to get into her good bookstrata de conquistártelato be on book (Theatre)hacer de apuntadorto bring somebody to bookpedirle cuentas a alguiento be brought to booktener que rendir cuentasto read somebody like a bookhe said he didn't care, but I could read him like a bookdijo que no le importaba, pero a mí no me engañabadon't tell me stories, I can read you like a booka mí no me vengas con cuentos, que yo ya te conozcoto speak or talk like a bookhablar como un libroto suit somebody's bookshe'll tell you whatever suits her bookte dirá lo que (a ella) le interese or le convengato throw the book at somebodycastigar duramente a alguienbook loveramante (masculine or feminine) de los libros
bibliófilo (-la) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- After some serious research he wrote a book on the subject, Ancient Mosaics in Bulgaria.
- Rosie bought me the DVD along with a book on philosophy.
- I sat there a while longer, staring down at the vellum pages of the book on the low desk before me.
- 2also: exercise book2.1 2.2also: notebook2.3 (telephone directory)directorio (masculine) (Latin America excluding Southern Cone)we're in the bookestamos en la guíaestamos en el directorio (Latin America excluding Southern Cone)Example sentences
- Apart from in 2006/7, we are members of the Offa's Dyke Association, find us in the book, or the online entry they have for us.
- We are not a secret organisation, but out of necessity you will not find us in the book.
- And if you have fond memories of a special teacher, why not look them up in the book and say ‘thanks’ one more time?
- 3 (set)(of coupons) libreta (feminine)(of samples) muestrario (masculine)(of matches, stamps) librito (masculine)Example sentences
- Perry specialised in making books of matches (advertising bars or restaurants, for example).
- They have books of pictures and samples that you can look through there, and they can do it all.
- It was then that he remembered the book of matches in his pocket, and drew it out.
- 4also: books plural4.1 (Business, Finance)the bookslos librosto keep or do the booksllevar los libros or la contabilidad→ cook 2 2Example sentences4.2 (of club, agency) are you on our books?
¿está inscrito aquí?
- They balance the books by selling places to students from developing countries.
- What's more, balance the books properly and you can avoid the perils of going deeper and deeper into debt.
- They need to be able to balance the books to continue to provide it.
- 5 (betting) (US) I'd make book they'll lose the game!me apuesto or me juego la cabeza a que pierden el partido
transitive verb(esp British)
- 1 1.1(room/seat/flight)
reservar(appointment)we're booked to fly on Tuesday
concertartenemos el vuelo reservado para el martesthe hotel/restaurant/flight is fully bookedel hotel/restaurante/vuelo está completowe're fully booked until Junehasta junio no nos queda nadacan we book a time to meet and discuss this? (British)¿cuándo nos podríamos reunir para discutirlo?I'm booked (up) all this weektengo toda la semana ocupadaExample sentences1.2
(performer/band)they're fully booked for the next six months
- Much coastal and Dales accommodation is already booked up in advance, and Scarborough had to print 10,000 extra holiday brochures to satisfy demand.
- The auditorium was packed and places were booked well in advance for this eagerly anticipated show.
- Similar to one week packages in the Canary Islands, all places were booked well in advance.
contratarno pueden aceptar más compromisos para los próximos seis mesesExample sentences
- Work got underway booking performers as far back as last September and work on the parade for concepts and ideas got underway in March.
- The singer was originally booked for a small concert in Hangzhou on June 12, sponsored by an ice tea company.
- A promoter who booked them to play in Ripley, Derbyshire, suggested he change his name to Cliff Richard.
- 2 (record)(order)
- (esp British)hacer una reserva
hacer una reservación (Latin America)
- 1verb + adverb (register arrival) (British)
- (reserve) (often passive) the hotels are all booked up
inscribirse2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object 2.1 (reserve room for) she'd booked us in at the Hilton
nos había reservado habitación en el Hilton2.2 (register somebody's arrival) the receptionist booked us in
el recepcionista nos apuntó en el registro
los hoteles están todos completostonight's performance is booked up
no quedan localidades para la función de esta nochethe orchestra is booked up until the summer
la orquesta no puede aceptar más compromisos hasta el verano
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.