- 1 (superior)jefe, (-fa) (masculine, feminine)(employer, factory owner etc)you decide, you're the bosspatrón, (-trona) (masculine, feminine)the bosses and the workersdecídelo tú, que eres el que mandaI want to be my own bosslos patronos or la patronal y los trabajadoresquiero ser mi propio patrónExample sentences
- Four in 10 office workers say they think bosses regularly charge personal items back to the company.
- Union bosses believe railway maintenance workers are still risking their lives because lessons from the Tebay rail tragedy remain unlearned.
- Blum's first act was to stop the strike wave by organising talks between the bosses and the unions.
- 2 (leader) the party bossesunion bosseslos dirigentes del partidoa Mafia bossdirigentes (masculine plural) sindicalesun capo de la MafiaExample sentences
- Traditionally, men are supposed to be in control and be the boss at work.
- The ENTIRE point of blogs is being the boss and controlling content.
- It does take a while to get used to, but remember, to teach your dog anything, you must be the leader and the boss.
- 1 (on vault)Example sentences
- In the medieval Hall of St Mary, Green Men occur as bosses, corbels, in tapestry, and in stained glass.
- The western bay of the vault, built in 1362, carries a hanging boss suspended by eight dramatic flying ribs.
- Four floral bosses help secure the flying ribs, while an intricate carved star hangs from the center and anchors the inner square.
- 3 (on shield)Example sentences
- As we walked by I saw Yrling's and Toki's war-kits, for they were easy to discern by the fineness of the helmets and the gilt upon the bosses of their shields.
- A number of other male graves contained shield bosses and spear heads, although all traces of the wooden shields and spears had long disappeared.
- Thorfast would at least have had a heavy wooden shield with a metal boss that he'd have held on his left arm. and an eight-foot-long, metal-tipped ash spear.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.