- 1 (knot)to tie a bowto tie something in a bowhacer un lazo ( or moño etc)hacer un lazo ( or moño etc) con algoExample sentences
- Tie the red ribbon in a bow and stitch in place through the center knot, referring to the photo for placement.
- He looks very jaunty, hands on hips, his cap pushed back on his head and his cap ribbon tied in a bow.
- After your child completes several cards, stack and lace them together through the eyelets on the left edge to form a book, tying the ribbon ends in a bow.
- 2 (weapon) bow and arrowarco y flechaExample sentences
- They had walked and driven for hours to get there, carrying the only weapons they possessed - bows and arrows, spears and machetes.
- The catalogue, includes an assortment of weapons: bows and arrows, swords and spears.
- Swords, spears, bows and arrows and many other weapons were being made in full force.
- 3 (Music)Example sentences
- When the electric is used, it's played with a violin bow, which results in a sound I'm sure we could use to communicate with whales.
- Rosin can be used as a plasticizer, in the manufacture of varnishes and printing inks, and also to treat bows for stringed instruments.
- The stealer of the show was definitely Peers when he played his guitar like an upside-down guitar with a violin bow.
- She claims to have used a lighter bow for Schubert than Brahms.
- Rapid bowing, slow bows and staccato to bowing are reviewed, and exercises for each are prescribed.
- Bow every note slowly while concentrating on bow placement and technique.
- 4 (on spectacles — arm)(— frame)armazón (masculine) or (feminine)Example sentences
- The lenses don't meet the corners of the frame where the bows attach.
- This hearing aid device has a body that can be attached to an eyeglasses bow has a channel therein for acceptance of a flexible eyeglasses bow end piece.
- A pair of eyeglasses includes an elongated lens unit, a pair of connectors, and a pair of elongated bows.
- (branch/plank)arquearsedoblarsepandearseExample sentences
- The man climbed off his horse, and bowed to Dominic in respect.
- Drake's head rose from its resting place, I bowed to show my respect to my own creator.
- Haman was furious with Mordecai, because Mordecai refused to bow down before him to show his respect.
- I did put out a quiver-tip, which rocked back and forth like a blade of grass bowing and stooping before the wind.
- Pensioners, although they appear bowed by the more strenuous life they once went through, find time for a humorous chat on a bench in front of St Mary's Church.
- If your walls are bowed, bumpy or imperfect, you might be able to achieve a better finish by stripping them bare.
- (movement)he greeted the Duchess with a bowto make a bowsaludó a la duquesa con una reverenciathe actress took a bow in front of the curtainhacer una reverencia ( or inclinación etc)you can take a bow for doing so wellla actriz salió a saludar al público or a agradecer los aplausos del públicote mereces un aplauso por lo bien que lo hicisteExample sentences
- Then she smiled nicely, took a little bow, blew a kiss, and gave just the briefest, politest, friendliest pump of a fist.
- I stood there for a while before wandering over to the fountain, where a Hispanic guy was taking mock bows for his friends.
- Chris gave her a mock bow, before taking her empty bottle.
- 1I hate waiters who bow and scrapehacer una reverencia or (Colombia) (Southern Cone) una venia or (Mexico) una caravanato bowodio a los camareros demasiado solícitos or serviles
tosomebodyto bowhacerle una reverencia aalguieninclinarse antealguien tosomethingwe must bow to her age and experienceI bow to your superior knowledgedebemos tratarla con la deferencia que su edad y experiencia merecenthey won't bow to government pressureusted sabe más que yoto bow to the inevitableno van a ceder ante la presión del gobiernoresignarse ante lo inevitable
- 2 (Cinema) (film, movie)the film bowed last week at Cannesla película se estrenó la semana pasada en CannesExample sentences
- The same can be said of other models bowing next year.
- (of ship) (often plural)Example sentences
- The former, as prime contractor, builds the aft and central superstructure, the latter the ship's bow and distinctive pyramidal main mast.
- The ceiling lights lit in a sequence from the aft deck to the bow of the ship and the floor lighting blinked twice before staying on.
- Without the support of the bowsprit, the long spar that extends forward from the bow of the ship, there was no support for the masts.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.