Translation of bread in Spanish:
- 1 [Cookery/Cocina] pan (masculine) white/wholemeal bread pan blanco/integral a slice of bread and butter una rebanada de pan con mantequilla or (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) manteca to live on bread and water vivir a pan y agua bread and circuses pan y circo to be sb's bread and butter teaching is his bread and butter se gana la vida enseñando tourism is this country's bread and butter este país subsiste gracias al turismo to break bread with sb [literary/literario] compartir la mesa con algn to cast one's bread upon the waters [literary/literario] hacer* (el) bien sin mirar a quién to earn one's bread (and butter) ganarse la vida or [literary/literario] el pan to know which side one's bread is buttered (on) saber* lo que conviene (a uno) he knows which side his bread's buttered on sabe lo que le conviene to take the bread out of sb's mouth quitarle el pan de la boca a algn to want one's bread buttered on both sides querer* el oro y el moro, querer* la chancha y los cinco reales or la chancha y los veinte (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- Unfortified whole wheat bread and bread baked from cake flour will still be available.
- Substitute whole-grain flour for half or all of the white flour when baking bread.
- Baking a loaf of bread will change the way you think about food.
- 2 (money) [slang/argot] [dated/anticuado] guita (feminine) [slang/argot], lana (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) [colloquial/familiar], plata (feminine) (South America/América del Sur) [colloquial/familiar], pasta (feminine) (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- It makes sense to use your head and spread the bread.
- The uncreative tell the creative what to do because they want the bread.
- She's going to be tired and irritable, and bound to bring up the subject of who earns the bread.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas