Translation of breath in Spanish:
- 1 countable or uncountable (air exhaled or inhaled) with his dying breathcon su último alientoto have bad breathtener mal alientoI could smell whisky on her breathel aliento le olía a whiskyto take a breath take a deep breath and relaxrespire hondo y relájeseher breath came with difficulty just let me get my breath backdéjame recobrar el alientoto catch one's breath in astonishment
espera a que recobre el alientoquedarse sin respiración del asombroI was so nervous it all came out in one breathestaba tan nervioso que lo dije todo de un tirónI'm short of breathme falta el airehe gets short of breath climbing stairs
me ahogose queda sin aliento al subir escalerashe arrived very out of breathllegó jadeando or sofocado or sin alientoin the same o next breath he ought not to be mentioned in the same breath as Poeno se lo debería poner en la misma categoría que PoeI could do with a breath of fresh airno me vendría mal un poco de aire (fresco)to be a breath of fresh air (pleasant change)ser (como) una bocanada de aire frescoto draw breath (lit: breathe) (live) [literary] the kindest woman that ever drew breathla mujer más bondadosa que jamás hollara la tierra [literary]as long as I draw breath I will not forgive youno te perdonaré mientras vivato draw one's first breath [literary] to draw one's last breath [literary] to hold one's breath(wait in suspense)
contener la respiración or el aliento(liter)he promised — well, don't hold your breath [colloquial] [humorous]
aguantar or contener la respiraciónlo prometió — sí, pero mejor espera sentado [colloquial] [humorous]to say something under one's breathdecir algo entre dientesto take somebody's breath awaydejar a alguien sin hablato waste one's breath with bated breathcon el corazón en un puño→ save1 1 3 1
en viloExample sentences
- This waif-like girl was sitting upright, gasping for breath with an oxygen cannula dripping blood.
- As the oxygen mask reduced her need to gasp for breath, Mary relaxed a bit and reflected on her last, turbulent hour.
- Gasping for breath at the top, I went into the bedroom and found that my respiration rate matched that of the patient.
- Excited denizens have waited with bated breath as the clock ticked by - months, days, hours and finally the big moment itself.
- Football fans are looking forward with bated breath to the clash of Kerry and near neighbours Limerick in the national league semi final later in the month of April.
- As the 1000-odd crowd assembled at the spot watched with bated breath, the personnel started pulling the rope up with utmost care.
- 2 countable (slight breeze) there wasn't a breath of windno corría ni la más leve brisaExample sentences
- Yes, for an afternoon or two, a breath of wind passed through the university.
- Then, he whispered, barely like a breath of wind, the last word that he would ever say.
- The sun was pouring down, with hardly a breath of wind.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.