- 1 1.1 (American English) (Cars)Example sentences1.2
(British English) (Railways) (on train) tope (masculine)(in station) parachoques (masculine)
- I believe that historical forces push us into conflict and without the law as a buffer between people, we would have a world of vendetta, a world of violence, a world of chaos.
- Safety stock is used for the same reason as lead time - to provide a buffer of inventory to reduce the chance of a back order in the face of variability.
- It can be a shield too, surely, a buffer between the committing of an act and its execution.
amortiguador (masculine) de choquesExample sentences1.3 (something which absorbs impact)
- An investigation has been launched after three train carriages ran out of control before smashing through buffers and derailing yards from a busy line.
- The brakes hiss and squeal as the carriages reach the buffers.
- Fortunately, however, it fell short, and the buffers of the engine struck the other lip of the shaft with a tremendous crash.
- 2 (Computing)memoria (feminine) intermedia or interfaz
tampón (masculine)Example sentences
- First we create a buffer that is one byte bigger than the user string and fill it with zeros.
- The data processing device may further include a write buffer for storing write data.
- You can paste the text in your copy buffer into the active window with Ctrl-A.
- (British English) [colloquial] (old man)an old bufferun vejete [colloquial]Example sentences
- Every time I see the old buffers talking about how it would change the game to use TV footage to determine decisions, as if that is somehow something to be avoided, I think ‘yes, precisely’.
- SIR - Although in a variety of British comedies ranging from the St Trinian's series to the Carry On gems such people as judges are caricatured as silly old buffers, there was some joy from the bench last week.
- After all, who needed these scarred old buffers in the new dot.com era that would run forever?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.