- (stopper)Example sentences
- His invention was designed to cut a hole through an existing bung or stopper rather than through the oak barrel head.
- On a thirsty day, unscrupulous carters were known to extract a free drink from a keg of porter by boring a small hole through the bung, inserting a goose quill and sucking some of the contents.
- A barrel is made up of staves shaped into a bulging cylinder, with hoops round it, a flat circular head at either end, and at least one hole for a bung.
- (British English) [colloquial] (bribe)coima (feminine) (Southern Cone) (Peru) [colloquial]mordida (feminine) (Mexico) [colloquial]Example sentences
- I know I'm not the only one to have stopped supporting animal welfare groups, so ultimately these groups will lose power as their donation base shrinks and they can no longer afford million pound bungs to the parliamentary Labour party.
- The real Licensee isn't monikered thus because he owns a bar, but because he's alleged to have a licence to operate in the city, through judicious bungs and threats to police and politicians.
- House-price control is also naive because there are so many ways round it, from free cars, holidays, insurance and moving expenses to bungs in offshore accounts.
- (British English) [colloquial](throw) tirarshe bunged a few things into the casemetió unas cuantas cosas en la maletajust bung it anywhereponlo en cualquier lado
tíralo por cualquier ladoExample sentences
- And then, one who stares at a computer terminal for hours together would not be hard-pressed to market a ‘dancing bindi’ and bung in an application package for the same.
- Better cook a steak at home and bung some oven chips under the grill.
- In other words, the factories have the proper machinery and simply bung out an extra 100 pairs a week.
- (Australia) (New Zealand English)(leg/eye)
- As the people downstairs had absented themselves to a haven of fresh air somewhere, we were unable to inform them of this bung fuse and therefore unable to rectify the situation.
- All I can say is that my business partners have a sore shoulder, a screwy leg, a skin infection; and I am nursing a bung knee.
- Latham won the running race, while McManus ended up with a bung leg.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.