- (Zoology)(American bird) tomaguín (masculine)(European bird) hortelano (masculine)Example sentences
- Longspurs, buntings, towhees and seedeaters are the groups within Emberizidae that most often show sexual dimorphism.
- In winter, our resident population is increased by large numbers of birds from the Continent, forming flocks on farmland, often with other finches, buntings and sparrows.
- In winter, found also in fields and even gardens, feeding with other buntings and finches.
- This area is a haven in the fall for all sorts of birds, including blue grosbeaks, indigo buntings and an array of sparrows.
- A few lucky people from in our area find indigo buntings - small, very bright blue birds that are not numerous in our area - are regular visitors at their feeders.
- Payne and Payne found no evidence that indigo buntings had an inherited tendency to disperse, but migratory direction seems to be innate for juveniles.
- 1 (fabric) (esp (American English) )(tela usada para la confección de banderas)Example sentences
- To the accompaniment of much laughter and fun, many yards of bunting were made from pieces of left-over fabric and torn sheeting.
- When I was a kid in the mid-1940s, can't remember the exact date but it was the year I had measles, we put up brightly-printed linen bunting for our street party in celebration of VE day.
- On festive occasions the streets fluttered with red, white, and blue bunting, the colours of the tricolour flag adopted by the French Nation in 1789.
- 2 (little flags) (British English)banderitas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- Club colours and banners bristled from every corner as bunting and flags adorned the spectators and the ground alike.
- He thanked all those who had decorated their premises with flags and bunting, and had a special word of praise for the residents of McHale Road for entering into the spirit of the parade.
- It would be greatly appreciated if businesses would support in decorating their premises with flags, bunting or whatever they wish to add to the atmosphere.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.