- 1.1 (with horns)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (with head)
- Then the gazelle butted my face with pointed horns.
- The goat butted him over; Guidry's rowan garland tumbled loose.
- Bastard butted me in the leg while I was escaping.
darle un topetazo or cabezazo a
- The hotel manager come up to yell at him, but was just freaked out by this long-haired dirt butting a little 15-year-old's head into the wall.
- A goat is butting its horns against the crooked door.
- The mare gently butted her nose against the extended palm, wuffling softly.
- 1 (cask)Example sentences
- George's treacherous intriguing persisted until in 1478 Edward sent him to the Tower where, according to tradition, he was drowned in a butt of malmsey wine.
- We should all be thinking about collecting more water in butts and larger tanks during the wetter winters to come, and the building of ponds and other water-design features.
- The Sheriff of Nottingham proclaimed a shooting match and offered a prize of a butt of ale to whosoever should shoot the best shaft in Nottinghamshire.
- 2 2.1 (from goat) 2.2also: head buttExample sentences
- The characters can fight hand to hand using punches, kicks, nudges, butts, combos…
- The least serious are the routine shoves and butts that seem to accompany almost every NFL play.
- There were a couple of butts, but none of the dirty tactics both pugilists have used in some past fights.
- 1 (target, object) to be the butt of jokes/criticismser el blanco de las bromas/las críticasExample sentences
- Journalists then, are set to become the butt of criticism and jokes, even as they sally forth to the frontlines.
- So sad for all of you, Mr. Mills and constituents, but all Ralph's jokes must have butts, and this time - it's you.
- But in their defence, the butts of their jokes are generally treated more with affection than ridicule.
- 2also: butts plural(firing range)Example sentences
- They are also agreed that the last great years of grouse shooting were in the late 1980s, when the birds made the August skies black as they thundered high over the shooting butts.
- Saboteurs plan to either occupy the shooting butts and force shooters to pack up, or ‘beat’ the birds away from the guns.
- 4. shooting at a blank target butt at a short distance with eyes shut
- 3 (of cigarette)Example sentences
- If I give them a bag of nickels and an ashtray full of cigarette butts, will they tell me my future?
- The driver flicked his cigarette butt toward an ashtray and missed.
- I was now grinding the cigarette butt into an ash tray on the coffee table.
- Sitting on our butts watching television can be dangerous.
- But not all students participate in these optional programs; the great majority of us sit on our butts.
- Finally I walked over there and nudged his butt with the toe of my boot, and he jumped up.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.