Translation of buttress in Spanish:
- 1 (Architecture) flying buttressExample sentences
- The remnant of a long-disused church building, it was built out of solid stone with massive buttresses supporting long, high walls.
- Around the perimeter, massive brick buttresses provide lateral restraint.
- Kain thanked the man and followed the directions, coming to a thickly built stone building with buttresses and smaller towers extending several stories above where the main building ended.
- 2 (for a theory, argument)Example sentences
- Even ‘reverence for the emperor, the most important ideological buttress of the old order, was evidently giving way’.
- At every stage in a fairytale life, the stoic sensible lovely Lancashire lass has been Tom's buttress, giving unstinting support and keeping his feet firmly on the ground.
- In these short few weeks the coach must re-shape - he vehemently contests the description ‘rebuild’ - Rangers, with a new midfield, attack, and a defensive buttress or two.
- 1 (Architecture)(wall)
reforzar con un contrafuerteExample sentences
- For example, huge ‘flying shores’ had to be fitted to buttress the structure against movement.
- Preparing for all these people, and buttressing runways for a plane that can weigh 544 tonnes on takeoff, is not cheap.
- The outer walls were buttressed with typical large blocks while within, they were fashioned from small unfinished stones mortared into place, reminding one of a traditional castle or keep in Avalon or Torrencia.
- 2 (support)Example sentences
- We regard Article 10 as reinforcing and buttressing the conclusions we have reached and set out above.
- The Athenian polis, buttressed by the strength of its Council of Five Hundred and Assembly of citizens, managed to gain control of a confederation of city-states which gradually became the Athenian Empire.
- Whether in business or politics, partnerships are supposed to buttress the strengths of those involved.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.