Translation of cake in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable or countable (Cookery) (large) the icing o (American English also) frosting on the cakeun extrato be a piece of cake [colloquial]ser pan comido [colloquial]to take the cake [colloquial]ser el colmo [colloquial](person)to go o sell like hot cakes
llevarse la palma [colloquial]venderse como pan caliente or como rosquillasto have one's cake and eat ityou can't have your cake and eat it (too)no puedes tenerlo todo, tienes que elegir(before noun) cake decorator (American English)manga (feminine) de pasteleríaExample sentences
- Desserts, sweets, cakes, biscuits, and pastries are considered to be luxuries.
- Little chefs can bake a cake or delicious muffins in the two-shelf oven or store extra plates and bowls in the cupboard.
- Now she manages to control her feelings by avoiding sweet foods such as cakes, chocolate and even bananas.
- Flake some on a green salad, mix some into a pasta salad, or shape some into salmon cakes.
- Season, form into six round cakes, and sear on both sides until golden brown, about five minutes.
- To serve, spoon three small amounts of mushroom cake on to warm plate.
- 3 uncountable (whole, total) (esp British English) [colloquial] they demand a larger slice o piece o share of the cakeexigen una tajada mayor del pastelExample sentences
- The corporate sector could not be securing a bigger part of national income cake too.
- Now, there are three or four other independents looking for a share of the cake.
- Fellow Namibians let's be fair to each other and share the national cake equally.
- (usually passive) to be caked
withsomethingour shoes were caked with mudteníamos los zapatos cubiertos de barro endurecidoExample sentences
- Dried blood caked the front of the late king's clothes and the broken hand which still clutched his sword.
- It didn't look like it had been used in ages, dust and dirt caked the inside, there were even some dead insects in it.
- Glancing out the main window, she could see only a brown haze - the surface was caked with dust.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.