n (pl calves)
- 1 [Zool] 1.1 c (young cow, bull) ternero, -ra (m,f), becerro, -rra (m,f) to be in o with calf estar* preñada to kill the fatted calf [literario/literary] celebrar una gran fiesta de bienvenidaMore example sentences1.2 c (young whale) ballenato (m); (young elephant, seal, buffalo etc) cría (f) (de elefante, foca, búfalo etc)
More example sentences1.3 u (leather) (piel (f) or cuero (m) de) becerro (m)
- In all 12 heifers and 12 bull calves have qualified for the final.
- On display will be the cream of the 2003 bull and heifer calves that have qualified at various regional shows throughout the summer.
- Dairy bull calves reared for beef through a pioneering fattening scheme are achieving gross margin returns of £199 a head for Pembrokeshire farmers.
More example sentences
- The transients ambush them - they have a taste for the gray whale calves' high-energy blubber and protein-rich tongues.
- Whale calves also surface in the ring of open water, right next to their mothers.
- The whale calf is thought to have become separated from its mother in the lower Thames, where the sighting of another, larger bottlenose whale was reported.
- The calf and suede styles feature resin hardware.
- Made from moose leather with rawhide bindings crisscrossing around the calf they looked like something Shackleton would have improvised adrift on the ice-floes.
- 2 c [Anat] pantorrilla (f)More example sentences
- It cuts the leg below the calf, and all muscle bellies except those of gastrocnemius are present.
- The devotees were also treated for their excruciating pain in their shoulders, neck, back, thighs, knees, calves, ankle and foot.
- Using this technique, the surgeon makes an incision in the back of the knee and retracts the calf muscle.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Santería is a religious cult, fusing African beliefs and Catholicism, which developed among African Yoruba slaves in Cuba. Followers believe both in a single supreme being and also in orishas, deities who each share an identity with a Christian saint and who combine a force of nature with human characteristics. Rituals involve music, dancing, sacrificial offerings, divination, and going into trances.