- 1 (insincere talk)Example sentences
- For cant, humbug and moral spinelessness, this took some beating.
- It annoyed Flaubert mightily that purveyors of political cant should be greeted with more ballyhoo than gifted poets.
- Most orthodox historians think that comments like these are mere hypocritical cant.
- 2 (jargon)Example sentences
- The history of various families in Athy, their way of life, religion, superstition, Traveller cures and the Traveller language or cant are all documented.
- Fagin, Sykes and Dodger use much more Dickensian language and pepper their sentences with thieves' cant.
- Some were familiar with the culture of the London underworld, and thieves' cant became the ‘flash’ language of the barracks and factories.
- 1 (make tilt)Example sentences
- She leaned against the bulkhead canting her head with a sigh.
- This holster can also be canted from a vertical position to a grip-forward or muzzle-forward position.
- Hand-made of fine leather and trimmed in exotic alligator, the holster can be positioned straight, or canted forward for even more versatility.
- 2(boat/ship)hacer escorarExample sentences
- The ship canted, slipping from its high and imperious plane as three missiles slammed into the armour, their icy casings erupting into a sundering coldfire ball that burned in the craters.
- The ship canted and slipped to one side, tables and chairs going flying with an awful crash as the floor undulated like a sea and tried to become one with the wall.
- Just then, the entire vessel canted to one side, as if thrown there by some unimaginable force.
- (no plural) (oblique surface)superficie (feminine) inclinadaExample sentences
- Then you can reconfigure the mag carrier to a straight vertical or drop-down pull and adjust the holster to a slight cant or straight draw angle for a day at the range or concealed carry.
- The three components of alignment are horizontal, vertical and cant, regardless of the typical cross sections encountered.
- In his view the problem was caused by the cant not being placed so as to abut the vertical inside wall of the parapet, thus allowing a space between the vertical surface of the cant and the vertical inside surface of the parapet.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to