- 2 countable (letter) write your name in capitalssmall capitalsescriba su nombre con mayúsculasversalitas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- At the end of the game some fans standing in a row behind one of the goals held up the letters of Ronaldo's name in big white capitals, just like the Hollywood sign.
- In tap, we have sentences and there is structure in the paragraph: All sentences begin with a capital letter; there are commas, exclamations.
- The author of this new, third biography of the poet notes that Cummings signed his name in capitals in his personal correspondence, dealings with publishers and his diaries.
- 3 uncountable (Finance) to make capital (out) of somethingthey are seeking to gain political capital from the affairsacar provecho or partido de algocapitalizar algointentan sacar provecho político del asunto(before noun) (costs/inflows)capital assetsde capitalcapital equipment o goodsactivo (masculine) fijo or inmovilizadocapital expenditure/investmentbienes (masculine plural) de equipo or capitalcapital grant (in UK)gasto (masculine) /inversión (feminine) de capitalcapital growthsubvención (feminine) de capitalcapital loss capital ratioaumento (masculine) or crecimiento (masculine)del capitalcapital stock capital transfer tax (in UK) (History)ratio (masculine) de capitalimpuesto (masculine) sobre las transferencias de capitalExample sentences
- The payback period is the number of years it takes before a project's discounted cash flows equal the initial capital invested.
- Such a fast return on capital invested made the management purchase of Parc look like a real bargain.
- There's a growing group of wealthy people who want to invest some of their capital in something that has a social purpose.
- 1 (Law)(crime/offense)que está sancionado con la pena de muerteExample sentences
- The State of Texas has accordingly charged Yates with capital murder, a crime for which she may face the death penalty.
- Not realising that he was charged with a capital offence, the undefended Downey pleaded guilty.
- However I find this inconsistent with his claim to have feared being arrested for capital offences.
- 3 (Printing)(letter)I don't believe in art with a capital Ano creo en el Arte con mayúsculasExample sentences
- Assuming the piece is publishable, my name will be in there with a few names with a capital N.
- My loyalties, however, lie with one uncle only, and his name starts with a capital S.
- In relation to a capital T, if it is just a nice, straight vertical line with a cross across the top, it is a sans serif font - a square block.
- (Architecture)Example sentences
- Suspended from the architrave or from the capital of the column is a pinax with a picture of Herakles.
- The hall has highly polished, lathe-turned stone pillars, with capitals supporting brackets intricately carved with figures from Hindu mythology.
- The throne is seen from directly in front, but the entablature and column capitals are seen from the left.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.