Translation of carpet in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (rug) to be on the carpet [colloquial] (person)estar llevándrose una bronca [colloquial](subject)
estar sobre el tapeteExample sentences1.2 uncountable (wall-to-wall)
- The curtains are silk and there are oriental rugs and carpets.
- These are generally referred to as ‘carpet pages’ because it is thought that they were inspired by oriental woven carpets.
- Only an oriental type of carpet with red background and a yellow border with little stick figures and such overlapped it.
- The team can fit grab-rails on staircases and in doorways, fix defective carpets or floor coverings, remove trailing wires and generally reduce trip hazards.
- A reproduction of the original Brussels weave carpet covers the floors and a mixture of objects of different styles and epochs furnish the room.
- Some insurers will not make deductions for carpets or floor coverings which are five years or even ten years old.
- 2 countable (of flowers, leaves, moss) [literary]alfombra (feminine) [literary]the earth was covered in a carpet of greenla tierra estaba alfombrada or tapizada de verde [literary]Example sentences
- But it's certainly made itself at home, forming thick carpets of shells on the seafloor, crowding out indigenous species.
- Some range into Alaska and the Yukon, where thick carpets of morels grow in burns accessible only by helicopter, floatplane, or river raft.
- Thick carpets of the alien species are crowding out oysters and other native species on the seafloor.
- 1 1.1 the house is fully carpetedla casa está totalmente alfombrada or (Spain) totalmente enmoquetadaExample sentences1.2 [literary]
(ground/path)the meadows were carpeted with daisies
- The dining room was carpeted, and there was a quiet buzz of conversation from the other guests.
- The room was heavily carpeted and filled with plants and exercise equipment, including a treadmill, some kind of Nautilus, and free weights.
- The room was carpeted and had two beds, each on opposite walls.
alfombrar [literary]los prados estaban alfombrados or tapizados de margaritasExample sentences
- Some areas are carpeted with thick mats of water hyacinths - mats so dense that herons and blackbirds walk across them and no boat can shove through.
- You can choose to follow the port side of the hull, which is carpeted with hard and soft corals sheltering dozens of fish species, or follow the stern round to the remnants of the rear deck.
- The tiny clearing was carpeted with thick cloves, so Cora laid all of the garments out flat to dry and hoped to enjoy the green fragrance.
- The team's boss will carpet his midfield ace for his spat with an opponent in the heat of the Pride Park battle.
- He has been carpeted too, for pulling the hair of the other team's goalkeeping coach.
- There's a minister who today deserves to be cross-examined by his boss, carpeted, and possibly sacked.
- 2 (reprimand)(person) (British English) [colloquial]
echarle una bronca or (esp Latin America) un regaño or (Mexico) una regañiza a [colloquial]
retar (Southern Cone) [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.