Translation of carriage in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (horse-drawn)Example sentences1.2
(British English) (Railways)Example sentences1.3
- She was among 15 tourists hurt when a convoy of horses pulling carriages along the steep mountain paths from the glacier bolted unexpectedly, throwing the passengers to the ground.
- They were among fifteen tourists hurt when the horses pulling their carriages bolted unexpectedly during a tour of the Briksdal glacier in Stryn, western Norway, on Monday.
- For instance, most English city streets were built when ‘traffic’ consisted of small carriages pulled by skinny horses.
also: baby carriage
- The boat trains and beautiful Pullman carriages are now replaced by the Eurostar.
- The Christmas train consisted of modern passenger carriages, generator cars and a caboose, with a diesel switch engine on either end.
- The first 12 train carriages for the high-speed railway arrived at Kaohsiung Harbor yesterday.
- 2 countable 2.1 (of typewriter) 2.2also: gun carriageExample sentences
- In assembly, where practically every operation is manual, engines shuttle down the line on carriages that swivel to allow workers easy access from any angle.
- This also means swiveling around the sliding carriage that holds the file, and duplicating the angles you used earlier.
- 3 uncountable (transport) the carriage of goodscarriage paid/forward (British English)el transporte de mercancíascarriage free (British English)porte(s) (masculine (plural)) pagado(s)/a pagarsin porte(s)Example sentences
- She was escorted to a police carriage that would take her to the execution site.
- Here the traffic consisted not of coaches and carriages but of wagons and hand-carts.
- Sweden and Denmark even manage to ferry carriages across the Baltic sea with no problem.
- 4 uncountable (bearing) [formal]Example sentences
- He had very handsome features with a strong muscular frame, tall and strong-limbed with graceful carriage and dignified bearing.
- This is a broad definition, encompassing essentially the whole carriage and deportment of the body.
- Her carriage was royal, and her bearing haughty and most formal.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.