- 1 1.1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object (continue, maintain)(practice)1.2verb + adverb + object (conduct, pursue)seguir or continuar con(conversation/correspondence)
- 2verb + adverb 2.1 (continue) the strike could well carry on into the new yearcarry on, you were saying?la huelga podría seguir or continuar hasta entrado el año que vieneto carry oncontinúa ¿qué estabas diciendo?
-ingthey just carried on talkingseguir + gerundto carry onsiguieron hablando como si tal cosa withsomethingcarry on with what you're doing!seguir conalgoI've got enough work to be carrying on with¡sigue con lo que estás haciendo!2.2 (make a fuss) [colloquial]what a way to carry on!por el momento tengo bastante trabajothere's no need to carry on about it!¡qué manera de hacer escándalo, por favor!2.3 (have affair) [colloquial]they'd been carrying on for years¡no hay necesidad de seguir dale que dale con el asunto! [colloquial]hacía años que tenían un enredo [colloquial]
- (British English) [colloquial]Example sentences
- As a matter of publishing curiosity, did the legal carry-on do anything for the book's sales?
- Some of the neighbours were upset about the carry-on and bringing strangers around the place at that hour of the night.
- I thought he would be screaming the place down with all the carry-on in the Flower Hall, but he has slept through all the noise.
- I've read about a few kinky carryings-on in your column but have never seen what I am dealing with.
- The study of stardust, lust and rust picks up the story when the cameras stop rolling and the carrying-on begins in the lives of lecherous actors.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the