Translation of casualty in Spanish:
noun plural -ties
- 1 (injured person)herido, (-da) (masculine, feminine)(dead person)(Military)there were no casualtiesthey suffered heavy casualtiesno hubo heridos ( or víctimas etc)no hubo que lamentar desgracias personales [journalese]truth is the first casualty of wartuvieron muchas bajas(before noun) casualty listla verdad es la primera víctima de la guerrarelación (feminine) de bajas
- 2 (hospital department)(British English) (no article)he was rushed to casualtycasualty wardlo llevaron a toda prisa a urgencias(Military)sala (feminine) de heridosExample sentences
- And as we get more and faster trains on to the rails we can expect more deaths, so the casualty figures coldly used in cost benefit studies are all going to be out of date anyway.
- Road casualty figures for 2003 show that serious accidents fell by 15 to 82 compared to the previous year.
- Center court was now a mass casualty scene, with injured personnel streaming out of Corridors 3 and 4 and wounded lying everywhere.
- She was taken by ambulance to casualty at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, after she lost consciousness at home at about 7pm.
- In the second case, a music teacher had to go to casualty in two separate hospitals on Christmas Day and Boxing Day 1993 after developing problems with his dressing.
- The crackdown on long waits has been dogged by allegations that ambulance staff are deliberately delaying taking patients into casualty until the hospital is ready for them.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to