Translation of certain in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (definite) they were heading for certain death a strike seemed certainuna huelga parecía inevitableonly death is certainlo único seguro es la muerteshe made certain of a good seat by arriving earlyllegó temprano para asegurarse una buena localidadI'll make certain that he understandsme aseguraré de que entiendait's not certain (that) they'll approve of the ideano es seguro que aprueben la ideaone thing or this much is certain …de lo que no cabe la menor duda es de que …it is certain that the President knewse tiene la certeza de que el presidente lo sabíato be certain to +
infinitiveit's certain to rainseguro que llueveshe is certain to want to know whycon seguridad querrá saber por qué
seguro que quiere saber por quéExample sentences1.2 (convinced) (predicative) to be certain
estar segurohe's quite certain about itestá muy seguro or muy convencido de elloare you certain? to be certain
- A vote on this issue was withdrawn last week, as it was certain to be defeated.
- It was wryly noted that the heavens had delivered the Scots from certain defeat.
- It will be hard, and it may not ensure victory, but any other way is certain defeat.
ofsomethingestar seguroare you quite certain (that) it's not dangerous? dealgo¿estás seguro de que no es peligroso?I feel certain (that) it was a mistaketengo la seguridad or la certeza de que fue un errorI checked the list to make certain (that) …revisé la lista para asegurarme de que …Example sentences1.3for certain
con certezawhen will you know for certain?¿cuándo lo sabrás con certeza?I can't say for certainno lo puedo decir a ciencia ciertashe won't do that again, that's (for) certainno volverá a hacerlo, eso es seguro or de eso no cabe duda
- Whatever the future holds, the one thing he can be certain about is how much he will miss Blackburn Rovers.
- Ella Lockett from Bassett Green admitted she wasn't certain about joining the group.
- He is just as certain about this as he is about wanting to reach his sporting potential as an adult, not as a teenager.
- 2 (particular) (before noun) it's only open on certain days/at certain times of dayestá abierto solamente ciertos días/a ciertas horas (del día)he has a certain somethingtiene un no sé qué or (un) algo especialhe has a certain charmtiene un cierto encantothere are certain things you ought to knowhay ciertas cosas que deberías sabera certain person refused to gocierta persona se negó a ira certain Jill Brown
alguien que yo conozco se negó a iruna tal Jill Browna certain amount of envy is inevitablees inevitable que haya cierta envidiaExample sentences
- Depending on the status of the field only certain units may be able to operate from the area.
- For every advanced feature added, I increasingly expect to be able to do certain things.
- I'm not trying to sound like a saint, but we take for granted that we are healthy and able to live a certain way.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.