Translation of certain in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (definite) seguro they were heading for certain death iban a una muerte segura a strike seemed certain una huelga parecía inevitable only death is certain lo único seguro es la muerte she made certain of a good seat by arriving early llegó temprano para asegurarse una buena localidad I'll make certain that he understands me aseguraré de que entienda it's not certain (that) they'll approve of the idea no es seguro que aprueben la idea one thing o this much is certain … de lo que no cabe la menor duda es de que … it is certain that the President knew se tiene la certeza de que el presidente lo sabíato be certain to +
infinitive/infinitivoit's certain to rain seguro que llueve she is certain to want to know why con seguridad querrá saber por qué, seguro que quiere saber por quéExample sentences1.2 (convinced) (predicative/predicativo) to be certain estar* seguro he's quite certain about it está muy seguro or muy convencido de ello are you certain? ¿estás seguro? to be certain
- A vote on this issue was withdrawn last week, as it was certain to be defeated.
- It was wryly noted that the heavens had delivered the Scots from certain defeat.
- It will be hard, and it may not ensure victory, but any other way is certain defeat.
ofsth estar* seguro dealgo are you quite certain (that) it's not dangerous? ¿estás seguro de que no es peligroso? I feel certain (that) it was a mistake tengo la seguridad or la certeza de que fue un error I checked the list to make certain (that) … revisé la lista para asegurarme de que …Example sentences1.3for certain con certeza when will you know for certain? ¿cuándo lo sabrás con certeza? I can't say for certain no lo puedo decir a ciencia cierta she won't do that again, that's (for) certain no volverá a hacerlo, eso es seguro or de eso no cabe duda
- Whatever the future holds, the one thing he can be certain about is how much he will miss Blackburn Rovers.
- Ella Lockett from Bassett Green admitted she wasn't certain about joining the group.
- He is just as certain about this as he is about wanting to reach his sporting potential as an adult, not as a teenager.
- 2 (particular) (before noun/delante del nombre) cierto it's only open on certain days/at certain times of day está abierto solamente ciertos días/a ciertas horas (del día) he has a certain something tiene un no sé qué or (un) algo especial he has a certain charm tiene un cierto encanto there are certain things you ought to know hay ciertas cosas que deberías saber a certain person refused to go cierta persona se negó a ir, alguien que yo conozco se negó a ir a certain Jill Brown una tal Jill Brown a certain amount of envy is inevitable es inevitable que haya cierta envidiaExample sentences
- Depending on the status of the field only certain units may be able to operate from the area.
- For every advanced feature added, I increasingly expect to be able to do certain things.
- I'm not trying to sound like a saint, but we take for granted that we are healthy and able to live a certain way.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Mexican politics, a prospective party candidate for the presidency is called a tapado. Candidates traditionally emerge from within the party but their identity is not revealed until the candidate is officially declared: they remain tapados (hidden), thus arousing a great deal of speculation. Under the rule of the