Translation of certain in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (definite) they were heading for certain death a strike seemed certainonly death is certainuna huelga parecía inevitableshe made certain of a good seat by arriving earlylo único seguro es la muerteI'll make certain that he understandsllegó temprano para asegurarse una buena localidadit's not certain (that) they'll approve of the ideame aseguraré de que entiendaone thing o this much is certain …no es seguro que aprueben la ideait is certain that the President knewde lo que no cabe la menor duda es de que …to be certain to +se tiene la certeza de que el presidente lo sabía
infinitiveit's certain to rainshe is certain to want to know whyseguro que lluevecon seguridad querrá saber por quéseguro que quiere saber por quéExample sentences1.2 (convinced) (predicative) to be certain
he's quite certain about itestar seguroare you certain? to be certainestá muy seguro or muy convencido de ello
- A vote on this issue was withdrawn last week, as it was certain to be defeated.
- It was wryly noted that the heavens had delivered the Scots from certain defeat.
- It will be hard, and it may not ensure victory, but any other way is certain defeat.
ofsomethingare you quite certain (that) it's not dangerous?estar seguro dealgoI feel certain (that) it was a mistake¿estás seguro de que no es peligroso?I checked the list to make certain (that) …tengo la seguridad or la certeza de que fue un errorrevisé la lista para asegurarme de que …Example sentences1.3for certain
when will you know for certain?con certezaI can't say for certain¿cuándo lo sabrás con certeza?she won't do that again, that's (for) certainno lo puedo decir a ciencia ciertano volverá a hacerlo, eso es seguro or de eso no cabe duda
- Whatever the future holds, the one thing he can be certain about is how much he will miss Blackburn Rovers.
- Ella Lockett from Bassett Green admitted she wasn't certain about joining the group.
- He is just as certain about this as he is about wanting to reach his sporting potential as an adult, not as a teenager.
- 2 (particular) (before noun) it's only open on certain days/at certain times of dayhe has a certain somethingestá abierto solamente ciertos días/a ciertas horas (del día)he has a certain charmtiene un no sé qué or (un) algo especialthere are certain things you ought to knowtiene un cierto encantoa certain person refused to gohay ciertas cosas que deberías sabera certain Jill Browncierta persona se negó a iralguien que yo conozco se negó a ira certain amount of envy is inevitableuna tal Jill Brownes inevitable que haya cierta envidiaExample sentences
- Depending on the status of the field only certain units may be able to operate from the area.
- For every advanced feature added, I increasingly expect to be able to do certain things.
- I'm not trying to sound like a saint, but we take for granted that we are healthy and able to live a certain way.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.