Translation of chair in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (seat)also: armchairsillón (masculine)dentist's chair
butaca (feminine) (esp (Spain) )sillón or silla de dentistasit on/in that chairsiéntate en esa silla/ese sillónhave o take a chair pleasesiéntese or tome asiento por favorExample sentences1.2
also: electric chair(American English) [colloquial] he got sent to the chairlo mandaron a la silla eléctricaExample sentences
- Cafe tables and chairs face a bench seat below a lowered ceiling that curves for an atmospheric effect.
- Four navy blue upholstered chairs surrounded a wooden coffee table that had stacks of magazines on top.
- We ordered a dining table and four chairs and were given a delivery time of two weeks.
- In a room full of students, college professors and department chairs, nervous laughter again followed.
- By the 1920's the German historical school was on its last legs but still ensconced in the professorial chairs.
- The Smiths' gift will be used for endowed chairs, professorships and student scholarships.
- 2 2.1 (at university) 2.2 (in meeting) to be in/take the chair comments must be made through the chairlos comentarios deben hacerse a través de la presidenciaExample sentences2.3 (person)
presidente, (-ta) (masculine, feminine)
- The princess is the chair of the sister organization in the United Kingdom.
- Members will choose a new chair during the next meeting, scheduled for November 17th.
- ‘Mr Clark was the chair of the meeting and made a joke of this,’ Mr Morgan said.
- The meeting was chaired by the President who welcomed a full attendance of members.
- The meeting was chaired by the president, who welcomed the members.
- Tonight I'm chairing a public meeting in Hoveton on policing issues and then tomorrow morning we have Michael Howard coming to Cromer.
- 2 (carry) (British English)llevar en or (Spain) a hombroshe was chaired from the stadium by his fanssus fans lo sacaron en or (Spain) a hombros del estadioExample sentences
- So magical had been his performance that he was chaired from the ground by his opponents as well as his own team-members!
- You've never seen anyone get to the victory stand so fast, even with his short-stop house-mate Ruben's failed effort to chair him up there.
- At the completion of the game, Warne lapped up yet another standing ovation from the 79,000-strong crowd, the champ responding in kind, bowing and blowing kisses to the crowd before a futile attempt to chair him off the ground.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.