Translation of channel in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (strait) canal (masculine) the (English) Channel el Canal de la Mancha (before noun/delante del nombre) Channel ferry ferry (masculine) que cruza el Canal de la Mancha 1.2 (course of river) cauce (masculine)Example sentences1.3 (navigable course) canal (masculine)
- The bay includes saltmarsh, shallow and open water, tidal channels, mudflats and numerous islands, and a freshwater pond.
- The ocean swell presses a thick plankton soup into the fjords and channels in the area, forming a base for an impressive array of underwater life forms.
- You'll kayak through a maze of fjords and tidal channels and through the ice-encrusted Cordillera Darwin and the most active tidewater glaciers in the world.
- By our English law there is a public right of passage through our navigable channels, whether in a port or the approaches to it.
- The Port Authority has stated that it was looking at undertaking some dredging to widen the shipping channel so that vessels including the Irish ferry would be able to pass the jetty at a further distance.
- Trapped, they chose to paddle three miles down the coast to Waimea, where they hoped the deep-water bay would provide a navigable channel.
- 2 (for irrigation) canal (masculine), acequia (feminine)Example sentences
- As is illustrated by Lake Nokomis, some drainages have been altered by the construction of dams and artificial channels.
- Meandering is a very common feature of natural river channels, but the morphology and stability of meanders varies.
- The city is crossed from east to west by the Rio Mapocho, which passes through an artificial stone channel 40m wide spanned by several bridges.
- 3 (system, method) vía (feminine) through diplomatic channels por la vía diplomática you must go through the official channels tiene que hacer el trámite por los conductos or las vías oficiales you should direct your enthusiasm into more useful channels deberías canalizar tu entusiasmo de una manera más útil distribution channels canales (masculine plural) de distribuciónExample sentences
- Now banks can offer wider and quicker channels of distribution and communication.
- With proper distribution channels in place, the guide is now famous throughout the UK and Europe.
- You need to follow proper channels of communication.
- 4 [Computing/Informática] [Television/Televisión] canal (masculine)Example sentences
- There was the sense that the programme had simply stepped out of line with the channel's public service broadcasting remit.
- I linger on stuff that I wouldn't normally choose - greyhound racing, charismatic religious stations, shopping channels, and so on.
- The shopping channels actively encourage viewers to feel close to the hosts.
- The signal channel must be void of electron traps induced by flaws in the design, processing, or even the silicon itself.
- It operates as a typical effects plug-in: insert it on an audio channel and send it some signal.
- The unit's Digital Signal Processing offers two channels for optimal performance and clarity.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo ( (British English/inglés británico) -ll-)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to