transitive verb present participle charring past tense, past participle charred
intransitive verb present participle charring past tense, past participle charred
- (wood)charred remains
carbonizarserestos (masculine plural) carbonizados or calcinadosExample sentences
- The painted wood was charring, burning, sinking slowly in and the last Stars and Stripes flying in the sun was gradually fading in the heat.
- The edges burned first, immediately charring at the edges and then working its way inward.
- The fires from the orphanage did burn true even though the wood had charred and foundations crumbled.
- (cleaner)limpiadora (feminine)Example sentences
- Agnes, our char who comes in once a week and transforms our household chaos into sparkling order, is also a whiz at the sewing machine.
- Agnes, I should explain, is our char who comes twice weekly to make the house sparkle.
- The film's central character Vera Drake played by Imelda Staunton, who was nominated for a rash of best actress awards, is a char whose concern for her family and neighbours is the driving force of her life.
- (do cleaning work)(trabajar haciendo limpiezas)Example sentences
- She charred for a princess and then became a hippie.
- She charred for Jewish families (picking up some Yiddish as she did) and the day of her death she had earned 6d cleaning at her lodging house.
- Her mother had gone out charring for a few hours a day for long periods.
noun(British) [colloquial] [dated]
- uncountable (tea)Example sentences
- Afterwards, we sipped chai in one of the tea stalls which had sprung up in the outer cloisters of the temple.
- Now I have seen many things in my short life and even spent a couple of nights in the Amazon Jungle trying to cook a kebab with a lighter but the sales are another cup of chai altogether.
- This sustained us, along with the countless cups of sweet chai and herb-infused omelettes delivered by the boys at every station.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.