Translation of chill in Spanish:
- 1.1 uncountable (coldness — of weather)(— of manner) frialdad (feminine)there's a chill in the airhace frío or frescoto take the chill off/out of somethingtemplar or calentar algothe boycott cast a chill over bilateral relationsel boicot enfrió las relaciones bilateralesExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 countable (Medicine) to catch a chill
- He sometimes feels a chill in the atmosphere at Xuhui High school, where he works as a librarian and part-time calligraphy teacher.
- The chill of her surroundings brought the rest of her body to awareness.
- Isabelle kneels down at Martin's gravestone, the bracing night air sending a chill through her body.
Example sentences1.3 (shiver)
- As he says this, a sudden chill descends on Penelope Wilton's hitherto friendly Sonya as if he has trodden on her soul.
- Brian felt it the moment he entered the city limits - a sudden primeval chill, an instinctive animal watchfulness.
- Both the leaders are certainly hoping that it warms up that chill between the countries.
- You'll end up with a chill, and could catch pneumonia.
- On the return trip, Mary caught a chill and the subsequent fever nearly killed her.
- Anyway, a few years ago, he caught a chill and it turned into pneumonia; I buried him behind the cabin and came here.
- And deep inside, a chill of fear ran down the bones of her spine.
- A chill of fear swept over her and goosebumps sprang over her arms.
- A chill of fear runs down my spine as I see a small hint of anger upon Matt's face, even though he is trying to keep it emotionless.
- (wine/food)serve chilled
poner a enfriarsírvase fríowe were chilled to the boneestábamos congelados (de frío)the scream chilled his bloodal oír el grito se le heló la sangre en las venasExample sentences
- The champagne should be chilled for at least four hours before serving and after opening should be kept in an ice bucket.
- This dish is at its best when it has been chilled for 24 hours.
- Chill the pie for at least four hours, then top with whipped cream and garnish with reserved strawberry halves.
- [literary]Example sentences
- With the return of grey skies and chill winds, what better than a concert promising a hint of warmer climes?
- On a bleak, grey afternoon with a chill wind coming from the North Sea barely 100 yards away, Stanley took control of the game early on and the home side rarely threatened.
- A crisp, chill wind bit at our exposed faces as we walked along designated walkways to the terminal; despite the cold, I found an extra vigour in my step.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.