- 1(for toboggans)Example sentences
- But modern-day swimming pool chutes and ponies captured the imagination and attention of the youngsters.
- If it is successful it would mean the new baths being built just yards away from the old £5 million Water Place with its water chutes and fun pool, which is soon to be bulldozed.
- These are three towering water chutes, in varying levels of steepness, down which you plunge in a rubber dinghy.
- 2 (for animals)Example sentences
- The pill slides down the chute into a flexible tube leading to the patient's mouth.
- Facility workers use front-end loaders to shove the trash into two floor chutes, which funnel it to a lower level.
- Disabled people could also be lowered down the chutes more slowly in stretchers.
- [colloquial] (parachute)Example sentences
- A skydiver aged 20 said she was ‘totally amazed’ at being alive yesterday after the main chute of her parachute failed to open as she leapt from a plane at 4,000 ft.
- Neither his main parachute or reserve chute appear to have deployed properly after he jumped from a Cessna 182 aircraft.
- A murder inquiry was launched after police discovered that the cord on his main parachute and the strapping on his reserve chute had been expertly and deliberately severed.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.