Translation of clinch in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [deal] cerrar*; [election] ganar; [series/title] ganar, hacerse* con this clinched the argument esto resolvió la discusión de forma contundenteExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 [Constr] [nail] remachar
- After some haggling I clinched the bargain and drove away.
- After much examination and a few rounds of long meadow, the bargain was clinched for £120 pounds.
- Analysts say the Lockheed design may have clinched the contract for the company.
- The winning golden goal to clinch the match 2-1 in extra time was scored by Ahn Jung-hwan, who plays for Italian team Perugia.
- Then nippy forward Julianne O'Connell struck with a great goal which clinched victory for her team and a place in the final.
- Mobbed by joyous teammates, this goal clinched victory for Ilkley from the jaws of defeat.
- After the shoe is nailed on, bring the foot out in front of the horse and put it on a stand or on your knee so you can clinch the nail.
- To clinch the nail, it is necessary to hold a heavy metal block against the rib and drive the nail home against this.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (in boxing) abrazarse*, enredarse en un clinch 1.2 (assure victory) (American English/inglés norteamericano) ganarExample sentences
- He would stay close enough to always clinch as soon as Rahman set to punch.
- By clinching with Frazier, Ali prevented further damage.
- Heavyweights throw like one-two-three punches and grab and clinch and grab and clinch.
- 1.1 (in boxing) clinch (masculine) 1.2 (embrace) [colloquial/familiar] abrazo (masculine), achuchón (masculine) (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar], apercolle (masculine) (Colombia) [colloquial/familiar], apapacho (masculine) (Mexico/México) [colloquial/familiar]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The name of Spain's state-run post office is correos. Stamps can be bought in an