Translation of colony in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -nies)
- 1.1 (territory) colonia (feminine) the (thirteen) Colonies las trece coloniasExample sentences
- Imperial self-assertion required first of all that Italy seize full control of the colonies it already possessed.
- Britain obtained German colonies and full command of the European seas.
- Canberra used the conflict to seize control of German colonies, in particular German New Guinea, the Solomons and other islands.
Example sentences1.2 (community) colonia (feminine)
- I'm beginning to forget what's so bad about British rule in the colonies.
- A number of tables and graphs purport to show the great improvements which the British brought to the colonies.
- They lack the moral grit that sent so much of the flower of Oxbridge out to the colonies during the heyday of the British Empire.
- The war petered out, and the colonies gained their collective independence.
- In 1787, delegates of the colonies adopted the United States Constitution.
- The practice persisted in the United States even after the colonies declared their independence.
Example sentences1.3 [Biology/Biología] colonia (feminine)
- German success in Europe in 1940 had orphaned French and Dutch colonies in the region and they became the focus of Japanese attention.
- The accepted strategy of establishing colonies and controlling a lucrative trade to and from them never really worked for the Dutch in the Atlantic, at least not for long.
- The territories thus depopulated were then occupied by well organized colonies from Germany.
- He mobilized the elite of the American colony in Paris into a volunteer committee, whose first task was to help stranded tourists obtain money.
- The first and largest Irish colony in London could be found in St Giles in the Fields.
- There was an important Italian colony in London, mostly of Florentines and Lucchese, dealing in silk and silk fabrics.
- All you have to do is dive near any large seal colony and let the animals' natural curiosity and playfulness do the rest.
- Thought to be extinct, a last colony of 18 animals was discovered in Wyoming in 1981, and now there are some 1,600 in the West.
- About 11 colonies of the plant are found in two locations in the northern area of the city of Scotts Valley, along with other locally rare plant species.
- They can culture and maintain colonies of the stem cells.
- By growing a human stem cell colony from a single cell, researchers are one step closer to deriving a homogenous population of cells of a particular type.
- We tested this by restreaking cells from colonies grown for 15-96 hours.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.