Translation of colony in Spanish:
noun plural -nies
- 1.1 (territory) the (thirteen) Colonieslas trece coloniasExample sentences
- Imperial self-assertion required first of all that Italy seize full control of the colonies it already possessed.
- Britain obtained German colonies and full command of the European seas.
- Canberra used the conflict to seize control of German colonies, in particular German New Guinea, the Solomons and other islands.
Example sentences1.2 (community)
- I'm beginning to forget what's so bad about British rule in the colonies.
- A number of tables and graphs purport to show the great improvements which the British brought to the colonies.
- They lack the moral grit that sent so much of the flower of Oxbridge out to the colonies during the heyday of the British Empire.
- The war petered out, and the colonies gained their collective independence.
- In 1787, delegates of the colonies adopted the United States Constitution.
- The practice persisted in the United States even after the colonies declared their independence.
Example sentences1.3 (Biology)
- German success in Europe in 1940 had orphaned French and Dutch colonies in the region and they became the focus of Japanese attention.
- The accepted strategy of establishing colonies and controlling a lucrative trade to and from them never really worked for the Dutch in the Atlantic, at least not for long.
- The territories thus depopulated were then occupied by well organized colonies from Germany.
- He mobilized the elite of the American colony in Paris into a volunteer committee, whose first task was to help stranded tourists obtain money.
- The first and largest Irish colony in London could be found in St Giles in the Fields.
- There was an important Italian colony in London, mostly of Florentines and Lucchese, dealing in silk and silk fabrics.
- All you have to do is dive near any large seal colony and let the animals' natural curiosity and playfulness do the rest.
- Thought to be extinct, a last colony of 18 animals was discovered in Wyoming in 1981, and now there are some 1,600 in the West.
- About 11 colonies of the plant are found in two locations in the northern area of the city of Scotts Valley, along with other locally rare plant species.
- They can culture and maintain colonies of the stem cells.
- By growing a human stem cell colony from a single cell, researchers are one step closer to deriving a homogenous population of cells of a particular type.
- We tested this by restreaking cells from colonies grown for 15-96 hours.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.