Translation of comedy in Spanish:
noun plural -dies
- 1 countable (play, film) Shakespeare's comedieslas comedias de Shakespearecomedy of manners it was a comedy of errorsfue todo un saineteExample sentences
- It stuck to its well-tried popular repertory of melodramas, comedies, and musicals, though both theatres scheduled touring opera companies throughout the year.
- On stage he has played character roles in farces, pantomime, comedies and serious drama.
- Just as the Fool is the wisest character in Shakespeare's comedies, so he pretends to be dim when he's being pin sharp.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (Cinema, Literature, Theater) (genre)Example sentences2.2 (comic entertainment)
(before noun) (show/program)
- He has sold short stories in a range of genres, including romantic comedy, science fiction, fantasy, and horror.
- Within the genre of romantic comedy, so many female leads spend entire films longing and pining for the ‘right one’.
- It respects the genre of romantic comedy while adding a unique flavor.
de humorExample sentences2.3 (of situation, scene)
comicidad (feminine)there's a lot of comedy in the book
- Setting the play in the 1930s, she took her inspiration primarily from classical Hollywood screwball comedies and films noirs.
- I had already explored the documentary world at the limits of fiction, and, in fictional films, had explored comedies and thrillers.
- The film is a comedy, but rarely relies on outright gags for laughs.
lo cómicoel libro tiene mucho humor or muchos momentos cómicosExample sentences
- Because after all, a very serious subject like war was getting treated with comedy, as a sit-com, after all.
- He simply wrote himself into a corner, cranking up the tension and comedy of the situation to a peak he didn't have the imagination to surmount.
- Yet she clearly relishes creating comedy from situations which, on one level, are deeply tragic.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.