Translation of comedy in Spanish:
noun plural -dies
- 1 countable (play, film) Shakespeare's comedieslas comedias de Shakespearecomedy of manners it was a comedy of errorsfue todo un saineteExample sentences
- It stuck to its well-tried popular repertory of melodramas, comedies, and musicals, though both theatres scheduled touring opera companies throughout the year.
- On stage he has played character roles in farces, pantomime, comedies and serious drama.
- Just as the Fool is the wisest character in Shakespeare's comedies, so he pretends to be dim when he's being pin sharp.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (Cinema, Literat, Theater) (genre) 2.2 (comic entertainment)(before noun) (show/program)
de humorExample sentences2.3 (of situation, scene)
comicidad (feminine)there's a lot of comedy in the book
- Setting the play in the 1930s, she took her inspiration primarily from classical Hollywood screwball comedies and films noirs.
- I had already explored the documentary world at the limits of fiction, and, in fictional films, had explored comedies and thrillers.
- The film is a comedy, but rarely relies on outright gags for laughs.
lo cómicoel libro tiene mucho humor or muchos momentos cómicosExample sentences
- Because after all, a very serious subject like war was getting treated with comedy, as a sit-com, after all.
- He simply wrote himself into a corner, cranking up the tension and comedy of the situation to a peak he didn't have the imagination to surmount.
- Yet she clearly relishes creating comedy from situations which, on one level, are deeply tragic.
- He has sold short stories in a range of genres, including romantic comedy, science fiction, fantasy, and horror.
- Within the genre of romantic comedy, so many female leads spend entire films longing and pining for the ‘right one’.
- It respects the genre of romantic comedy while adding a unique flavor.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.