Translation of commitment in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (responsibility)(obligation)a family is a major commitmenthe has no family commitmentsuna familia es una gran responsabilidadI've taken on too many financial commitmentsno tiene obligaciones or cargas familiaresto meet one's commitmentshe contraído demasiados compromisos financierosthere's no commitment to join/buyhacer frente a sus ( or mis etc) compromisos or obligacionesno hay (ninguna) obligación or ningún compromiso de afiliarse/comprarExample sentences1.2 (engagement) 1.3 (guarantee, promise)
we are seeking a commitment that …garantías (feminine plural)queremos que se nos den garantías de que …queremos que se nos garantice que …Example sentences
- They resist commitments - marriage, mortgages, careers or social engagements.
- They never fail to honour their commitments and obligations with generosity and a willingness to give of their time so freely.
- Injuries and work commitments restricted Town to jut 13 men and their lack of substitutes took its toll.
- We have made our commitments - the six pledges - and that's what we're fighting on.
- All the other commitments on that pledge card were about redistributing income, not about increasing it.
- Given that a commitment was given to under-take this work, why are we now back in the situation that no progress has been made on the matter?
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (to relationship) See examples: I'm not looking for commitment right now2.2 (dedication) See examples:commitment (no quiero una relación a largo plago por ahora
tosomething)he requires great commitment from his studentsdedicación (feminine) or entrega (feminine) ( aalgo)exige de sus alumnos verdadera dedicaciónExample sentences
- Throughout his working life, he brought qualities of loyalty and commitment to his profession.
- It is the quality of commitment, commitment to the service of others.
- What they are missing, though, are players who can bring both quality and commitment to the Newcastle cause.
- 3 uncountable (allocation) the government has increased its research commitmentel gobierno ha aumentado los fondos destinados a la investigación
- 4 uncountable → committal 1
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.