Translation of company in Spanish:
noun plural -nies
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (companionship) bring somebody with you for companyvente con alguien para que te haga compañíain somebody's companyen compañía de alguienin company with other experts we hold that …al igual que otros especialistas creemos que …to keep somebody companyhacerle compañía a alguiento keep company with somebodyandar en compañía de alguiento part company (with somebody)separarse (de alguien)the two generals part company on this issuelos dos generales difieren sobre este temaExample sentences1.2 (companion, companions) the dog will be company for her
el perro será una compañía para ella or le hará compañíashe's excellent companyes muy agradable ( or divertido etc) estar con ellaI'm bad company when I'm depressedcuando estoy deprimido es mejor dejarme soloshe's been keeping bad company recentlyúltimamente anda en malas compañíasyou're in good company: we've all been firedno eres el único: nos han despedido a todospresent company exceptedexceptuando a los presentesa man is known by the company he keeps
- They don't mind very much, especially as you provide such scintillating company.
- She's also there just to provide extra company for her mum and brother.
- Some very dear friends provided good company throughout, and I go to bed this evening tired but happy.
mejorando lo presenteExample sentences1.3 (guests, visitors) are you expecting company?
¿esperas visita?we've got companytenemos visitato know how to behave in companysaber (cómo) comportarse en sociedadExample sentences
- Old Boy, however, is up for another drink in the hotel bar, and proves excellent company.
- She is as sharp as a tack, but excellent company in a social setting.
- Jackson was a lovely caring man, whose warmth and sense of humour made him excellent company.
- He is currently keeping magnificent company in the European Golden Shoe rankings.
- I am delighted to have the chance to say some words in such distinguished company.
- Finally, remember that if you do suffer from bad breath, you're in excellent company.
- I probably would have invited him over if I hadn't been expecting company anytime soon.
- Just before the dive Jose Luis tells us that we can expect company.
- If he was expecting company than why did he look so disgruntled when he answered the door?
- 2 countable (business enterprise) a pharmaceutical/shipping companyuna compañía farmacéutica/navierapublic limited company (in UK) a trading companyuna sociedad mercantilSmith and CompanySmith y Compañíawe had lunch on the companyla comida corrió a cargo de la compañía or empresa(before noun) (car)company director company pension scheme
de la compañía or empresaplan (masculine) de pensiones de una compañíacompany policypolítica (feminine) de la empresacompany town(ciudad que depende de la actividad económica de una sola empresa)
- 3 countable 3.1 (body of people) [literary] 3.2 (Theater) a theater companyuna compañía teatral or de teatrothe company is on tourla compañía está de giraExample sentences3.3 (Military) company, dismiss!
¡compañía, rompan filas!Example sentences3.4 (Nautical)ship's company
- It is estimated that funding for the five national performing arts companies accounts for about £20m.
- One of the troupe's touring companies will visit the Edmonton Street Performers festival this week.
- The company creates two new performances a year and often tours to Jakarta and Surabaya.
- The grenadier company of a line infantry battalion was paraded on the right of the line, the place of honour accorded to its status.
- Stryker infantry regiments will have three battalions of four companies each.
- The disseminated copies go to brigade as well as the rifle companies and battalion scouts.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.