Translation of compare in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (make comparison between)(statement/figures)you can't compare cheap wine and champagneto compare something/somebodyel vino barato y el champán no se pueden comparar
too withsomething/somebodyhe compared the handwriting with that on the envelopecomparar algo/a alguien conalgo/alguienit's tiny compared to your housecomparó or cotejó la letra con la del sobrees pequeñísima comparada con tu casa or en comparación con tu casaExample sentences1.2 (liken) See examples:to compare something/somebody
- These estimates of intrusion times may be compared to estimates based on magma supply through dykes.
- The test was compared to one where similar cells were not exposed to such radio waves.
- The wine list, again, was cheap compared to uptown prices and so we settled for a bottle of Brouilly at just under thirty bucks.
tosomething/somebodyshe's been compared to Joan of Arccomparar algo/a alguien conor aalgo/alguiense la ha comparado con or a Juana de ArcoExample sentences
- You might think that this isn't a very good analogy, comparing prisons to a commercial passenger jet.
- I like to use the analogy of comparing a campaign to a car.
- We use things like analogies and say well compare it to how a flower grows, or find a comparison that is an every day common experience that makes sense.
- I liked his last book, but the new one just doesn't comparehow do the two models compare for speed?me gustó su último libro, pero el nuevo no se puede compararthe prices compare pretty wellen cuanto a velocidad ¿qué diferencia hay entre los dos modelos?to compareno hay mucha diferencia de precio
withsomebody/somethingnothing compares with good home cookinghow does this compare with her first novel?la comida casera no se puede comparar con nadathe sales figures compare with the best of previous years¿qué tal es esta, comparada con su primera novela?your last essays compare favorably with your previous effortslas cifras de venta son equiparables or comparables a las mejores de los años anterioresit compares badly with other models in the same price rangetus últimos trabajos están mejor que los anterioresdesmerece en comparación con otros modelos de precio similar
- [literary]beyond comparesin comparaciónExample sentences
- Everything about him had been perfect beyond compare, and I had thought that if things were going to change, they were only going to get better.
- Year One is an action-adventure story without compare.
- Having lived there for nearly 30 years, I discovered a community spirit beyond compare.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to