Translation of concede in Spanish:
- 1 (admit)(failure/inability/superiority)to concede defeat
reconoceradmitir la derrotathat's true, he conceded
darse por vencido—eso es cierto —reconoció or admitióExample sentences
- Senate Majority Leader John Hottinger conceded defeat to Governor Tim Pawlenty this afternoon.
- As much as I hated to concede defeat, I opened the door and asked, ‘Anyone have any ideas?’
- Milosevic lost the elections, but even two weeks later, he still refused to concede defeat.
- When the allegations were put to McKellar, he denied them while conceding that complaints had been made.
- The Liberal Democrats have already conceded that they cannot deny him a further term in office.
- This is clear to see on page 41 of the originating judgment where the trial judge relied on that alibi which Mr Smith now concedes is not true.
- 2 (allow)(right/privilege)to concede something
tosomebodyconcederle algohe conceded the point to the chairman aalguienle concedió la razón al presidenteExample sentences
- The Sikhs had to agitate for nearly 15 years until their demand was conceded in 1966.
- But the biggest present was a letter on the fax from Jack McConnell conceding her demand for an independent inquiry into the shambles of the Holyrood building.
- If Cork demands are conceded, and other counties follow suit, then it would be reasonable to suggest that there will be many players constantly taking time off to train and play.
- 3 (give away)(game/penalty)they conceded an early goal
concederconcedieron un gol en los primeros minutos del partidoExample sentences
- Not all periods of the game are of equal tactical significance, and the ability to play through the dying minutes without panic, and without conceding possession and position is a vital one.
- But Anderlecht were an increasing danger, going forward down both flanks and profiting from Liverpool conceding possession.
- The home keeper showed immense bravery in just 4 minutes when he dived at the feet of Andy Clark after Derek Clark had carelessly conceded possession.
- The situation at the break, 1-0 ahead, was familiar to Kendal but in their three previous matches they had failed to score, conceded goals and lost.
- A strong defensive partnership between Ellie Hargreaves and Annabel Graham at the back prevented any goals being conceded during the morning.
- While they don't concede goals frivolously, getting the ball in the net has become something of a luxury.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.