Translation of conceive in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (devise) [scheme/plan/book/idea] concebir* a brilliantly conceived plan un plan muy bien concebido or de magnífica concepciónExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (imagine) imaginar, pensar*; (consider) considerar they conceived it to be their responsibility consideraron que era su responsabilidad I can't conceive why you allowed him to use your car no concibo or no me cabe en la cabeza por qué le prestaste el coche
- MK and AB conceived the idea, devised the protocol, and obtained funding for the study.
- It was the masons who originally conceived the idea of a tightly-knit religious-intellectual sect, existing within yet apart from mainstream society.
- They offer two brilliantly conceived plans to restore sound money to our economies and our lives.
- One may conceive of individual representations while abstracting from those physical repercussions which accompany them or follow them, but do not constitute them.
- At its best, his show celebrates the capacity of our imagination to conceive of, then rationalise, the ridiculous.
- It doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination to conceive of who ‘such people’ are.
- 2 (develop) she conceived a passion for opera le entró pasión por la ópera she conceived an instant antipathy for him le tomó or (especially Spain/especialmente España) le cogió antipatía de inmediato
- 3 [child] concebir*Example sentences
- If a couple conceives several embryos in vitro, one without the disease-carrying gene can be chosen and implanted in the mother's womb.
- It may act as such, by suppressing ovulation, but it also works by making the lining of the womb hostile to the newly conceived embryo.
- A naturally conceived fetus in a family with a genetic disorder such as thalassemia has less than a 20 percent chance of being disease free and immunity matched.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- (become pregnant) concebir*Example sentences
- Being on the contraceptive pill does not reduce the chances of becoming pregnant later, and most women do conceive from one month to one year or so after discarding contraceptives, she says.
- Keep in mind that while women are pregnant, that's approximately 9 months that women cannot conceive and bear another child.
- It was also noted that a few women conceived after 5 unsuccessful months of treatment.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Spain's literary renaissance, known as the Golden Age (Siglo de Oro/i>), roughly covers the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. It includes the Italian-influenced poetry of figures such as Garcilaso de la Vega; the religious verse of Fray Luis de León, Santa Teresa de Ávila and San Juan de la Cruz; picaresque novels such as the anonymous Lazarillo de Tormes and Quevedo's Buscón; Miguel de Cervantes' immortal Don Quijote; the theater of Lope de Vega, and the ornate poetry of Luis de Góngora.